News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2015, 12:44:49 AM
The Texas Rangers were already in the AL West.

Adding Milwaukee would have added a lot more miles to the odometer than adding Houston would if that's what you're worried about.

Put the Brewers in AL Central, move the Royals to the West.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2015, 08:00:27 AM
An amusing little baseball tale:

I was comming home from work through the underground towards the subway. It was just after rush hour, so there were only a few people in the corridors ... when I heard ahead of me what sounded like a feral roar of rage. Wondering what the hell was happening, I looked up to see, at the end of the corrodor, a crowd - that was about half cops - yelling, screaming, and waving fists in the air. Riot? Murder? No - they were watching the baseball game on the big-screen TV right by King Station.

Apparently, the umpire had made a call the crowd disagreed with, that allowed the other team to score, and they were furious about it. On the screen, you could see angry fans throwing stuff onto the field.

I wondered why there were so many cops just standing around watching the game on TV, but then realized - King Station is really close to Rogers Field, where the game they were watching was being played at this very moment. The cops were there, presumably, to control the crowds when they left the stadium. Though these particular cops looked just as riled up as everyone else - if there was a fan riot, it looked to me like they would join in.  :lol:

Anyway, I decided to stay for a couple of minutes, and ended up watching the rest of that inning - it surely was an odd one. After that call that angered the crowd, Texas could do nothing right. Their players kept dropping the ball, and finally our team scored a bunch of runs off of a massive hit.

There were still a couple of innings to go, but I realized it would be really dumb to hang about until the game was over - then thousands of fans would descend on the station. Also, it looked like our team had a big lead, and I was hungry. So I went home.

Back when I used to work on an ambulance, we discovered that we could just drive up and enter the Braves games while we waited for emergency calls. We would just drive up to the police barricades blocking the road in front of the stadium, wave to the cops, move the barricade, drive through, put it back, park on the grass next to the stadium, and walk in through the turnstiles carrying our medical bag.

No one ever tried to stop us.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 10:49:19 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2015, 10:38:28 PM
Astros are in the AL now? :unsure:

Should have moved the damn Brewers back. Nobody wanted this.

Yet more Selig follies.
At least that long national nightmare is over.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Meanwhile, in the distant future of, uhm, 2015 ...

I wonder how Miami makes it to the WS at this point. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Well the Royals made short work of BB's countrymen. We will see if the NLCS is more interesting.

Damn I just realized every single team left wears blue uniforms and none of them are the Dodgers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2015, 11:52:39 PM
Well the Royals made short work of BB's countrymen. We will see if the NLCS is more interesting.

A bunch of Dominicans and Americans playing for a team based in Toronto are no countrymen of mine. :menace:

Was an awesome game, even if I was trapped in a car dealership for most of the night. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

KC with an impressive comeback. :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2015, 12:40:50 AM

A bunch of Dominicans and Americans playing for a team based in Toronto are no countrymen of mine. :menace:

Whoa, immigrant workers come to your country to pursue their dreams and better opportunities, do do nothing but profess love of their new home, and you still reject them so harshly?  :(

:P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Barrister

As a non-Cubs fan, I kind of prefer the reputation of them being the team that hasn`t won since 1908 to the idea of them winning now.  I mean - the Red Sox used to be cool, the Curse of the Bambino and all, but now they`re just the mini-Yankees.

By which of course I mean - Go Royals Go!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2015, 11:11:34 PM
As a non-Cubs fan, I kind of prefer the reputation of them being the team that hasn`t won since 1908 to the idea of them winning now.  I mean - the Red Sox used to be cool, the Curse of the Bambino and all, but now they`re just the mini-Yankees.

There never has and will never be anything cool about the Red Sox. Their agony was more annoying than awesome.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2015, 10:51:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2015, 11:11:34 PM

There never has and will never be anything cool about the Red Sox. Their agony was more annoying than awesome.

Yeah, I was glad when they finally won a WS just so it would stop the whining.

Barrister

So tonight we'll see if Johnny Cueto can continue on from his dominant performance in Game 5 of the ALDS.  I was actually worried when I heard he was getting the start back then - boy was I wrong.

Trouble is - Federal election results are about the only thing that could tear me away from baseball, and well...

The "last" button on my clicker is going to get a workout tonight.