Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Use your back button and watch both.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2015, 10:43:09 PM
So I have quite the dilemma tomorrow.

Do I watch the Royals v Astros in the ALDS Game 1?

Or do I watch Jets v Bruins, Game 1 of the regular season?

I'm pretty sure I go with the Royals, but it's not without some regrets...

Unless your team is raising a championship banner or receiving rings playoffs >>>>>>>> opening game.

HVC

No matter the sport, Toronto is Toronto
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Pedro Martinez' English has really, really improved.

Barrister

You know I freely admit that pro sports is completely unimportant in the great scheme of things.  It's really bread-and-circuses kind of stuff.

But tonight, when both the Royals, and the Jets, win their games, I can't help but have a smile on my face. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I deny the legitimacy of the proceedings.  Yankees lost to a National League team; shouldn't affect their progress in the AL playoffs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Crazy 2nd inning Cards/Cubs.

Cubs run back to back safety squeeze plays.  Next at bat is an infield RBI hit.  Next at bat is a HR.  Cubs up 5-1.

Cubs pitcher is hitting 8th. Anyone understand the reasoning on this?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2015, 05:27:06 PM

Maybe their catcher really sucks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2015, 05:27:06 PM
Crazy 2nd inning Cards/Cubs.

Cubs run back to back safety squeeze plays.  Next at bat is an infield RBI hit.  Next at bat is a HR.  Cubs up 5-1.

Idea is that best hitters should be grouped together.  Usually best hitters are 1-5, therefore putting pitcher right in front of them is suboptimal.  Moving up the pitcher one slot doesn't hugely increase number of pitcher ABs especially since manager has flexibility to pinch hit.  It's discussed in "The Book" (Tango/Lichtman), which I guarantee Theo Epstein has read.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

The Pirates tried that for a season or two under John Russell. Didn't help them much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 12, 2015, 09:20:01 AM
The Pirates tried that for a season or two under John Russell. Didn't help them much.

The difference on a per game basis is 0.012 runs per game, or 2 runs over a 162 games season.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Cards did it some under LaRussa;  not sure it they still do it any with Matheny.

Valmy

Something funny is happening on the way to the Astros' ALCS appearance. This is getting interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Here we go 6-4. Bases still loaded with nobody out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."