News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2015, 11:47:17 AM
one could argue that last year was the outlier for kluber. Especially since I kept him in my keeper league this year.  :(

Looking at 2 pitchers end of years stats

Pitcher 1: 222 IP, 189H, 22HR, 45BB, 245K
Pitcher 2: 218 IP, 181H, 21HR, 39BB, 234K

Pitcher 2 is a bit stronger but it's pretty close on those numbers.

Pitcher 1 is Kluber.  W/L 9-16
Pitcher 2 is Madison Bumgarner. W/L 18-9

Kluber's raw outcome numbers aren't far off Keuchel either..
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2015, 09:56:34 PM
Blowing the ALCS used to be a Blue Jays Royals tradition.

Unlike BB I still have conscious memory of the late 70s.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2015, 04:48:52 PM
one could argue that last year was the outlier for kluber. Especially since I kept him in my keeper league this year.  :(

Hmm.  Kluber and Bumgarner are a lot closer than I would have guessed.  I guess most of the difference in the W-L record is their teams, though the Giants weren't all that much better than the Indians this year.  Indians run support must have been very uneven this year.

OTOH, there's no doubt that Kluber was better in 2014 than he was this year.  Just using the same stats you posted above:

2014: 235.3 IP, 207H, 14HR, 51BB, 269K
2015:  222 IP, 189H, 22HR, 45BB, 245K

The difference in hits, walks, and, to a lesser extent,  strikeouts is basically just due to the difference in innings pitched, but the rate of home runs hit against him nearly doubled.  Still, while he was better in 2014 than in 2015, he wasn't that much better.  Certainly nothing there to explain dropping from 18-9 to 9-16.   I'd say the 18-9 record in 2014 represents how well he pitched fairly accurately.  For his W-L record to do the same in 2015 it would have to be something like 15-10 or so.

Eddie Teach

I feel like those numbers aren't giving us the whole story without the ERA. It's possible that one pitcher is doing much better with runners in scoring position.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

CC Sabathia checks into rehab and will miss the playoffs. Granted, he hasn't been playing well, but still...Interesting that rehab couldn't wait a month.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2015, 04:48:52 PM

Yep, goes to show what a garbage number Wins for a pitcher is.

I couldn't find anywhere that had a Top XX list of Quality Starts but I looked up these 8 guys:

Keuchel  27
Kershaw 24
Felix 22
Bumgarner 22
Greinke 21
Kluber 19
Arrieta 18
Price 17

fwiw

Barrister

Too bad... I was pulling for a Yankees - Royals ALDS, just for sheer revenge factor (and did I mention my dad is a huge Yankees fan)...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2015, 05:58:10 PM
OTOH, there's no doubt that Kluber was better in 2014 than he was this year. 

No doubt.  But still very good.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2015, 06:23:15 PM
I feel like those numbers aren't giving us the whole story without the ERA. It's possible that one pitcher is doing much better with runners in scoring position.

Kluber 2014:  2.44
Kluber 2015:  3.49
Bumgarner 2015:  2.93

Keep in mind that in the DH league, 3.49 is actually pretty good.

The Minsky Moment

He had a huge split in RISP vs. bases empty. 
With RISP his OPB/Slug against was .350/.444. as opposed to .248/.333 with bases empty.

BUT . . . big component of that was BABIP (batting average on balls in play): .337 RISP vs. .271 empty.
So question is whether he developed some character flaw that led to some huge loss of command with RISP or whether there is some bad "hit luck" at work.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Isn't that normal? When runners are on base, fielders have to cover bases and holes open up in the infield.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2015, 12:16:43 PM
Isn't that normal? When runners are on base, fielders have to cover bases and holes open up in the infield.

Not to that degree.
Major league wide, the split .294/.298, only 4 points
The biggest splits were  for runner on first alone  (runner is usually held opening up the hole) and runner on third (probably because flies that score the runner aren't treated as outs).
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

katmai

Only good team in NL is now out.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

So I have quite the dilemma tomorrow.

Do I watch the Royals v Astros in the ALDS Game 1?

Or do I watch Jets v Bruins, Game 1 of the regular season?

I'm pretty sure I go with the Royals, but it's not without some regrets...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.