News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

derspiess

Just voted 100 times for Carlos Martinez while waiting for some report jobs to run.  Also voted for Moustakas in accordance with the Cards-Royals #VoteMO thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

So with certain Twitter hashtags being counted as votes, Twitter got fun for me today (possibly for the first time ever).  Whenever one of my local friends tweeted a vote for Cueto, I responded to them with a vote for Martinez.  Retweeted every #VoteTsunami tweet I could find, on top of that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Also I talked to Bob Uecker's grandson at lunch.  Things are getting pretty turned up today for All Star Weekend/Week/Whatever.

Neil

It seems that the Blue Jays are playing the Royals this afternoon.  Sounds like BB will have a rare opportunity to watch his favorite team in action.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Just can't make this up.  During the All Star parade, Don Mattingly threw me a set of fuzzy dice with the Cardinals logo on them.  I was going to stay for the whole parade, but once I saw all the Cardinals players I decided it was too damned hot outside. 

Yesterday I was at the Mike & Mike show they did at the Christian Moerlein Lager House and got to meet Golic.  Then my brother, son, nephew and I went to the Fan Fest.  Spent almost half our time waiting in line, but we saw and got autographs from Rollie Fingers & Gaylord Perry plus a couple old Negro League players.  Kids got autographs from some team mascots (didn't even know that was a thing) and some other freebies.  Plus I got to leer over the Commissioner's shoulder on TV.

Syt

In other racism news, ESPN fired Colin Cowherd after a remark about Dominican players:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2530784-colin-cowherd-espn-part-ways-after-comments-on-dominican-mlb-players?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
QuoteCowherd came under fire Thursday when discussing the complexity of the game of baseball.

"Like I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex,'" Cowherd said, according to the New York Times' Richard Sandomir. "Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Everyone knows the dumb ones are Puerto Ricans.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Cowherd was already on his way out, this coming Friday was to be his last day, so he just got let go a week earlier.

The 'interesting' questions are whether Fox will still pick him up as was the rumor and what ESPN might have done if he wasn't already mostly out the door.

dps

Never could much stand Cowherd anyway, personally.  The guy basically has two modes:  Captain Obvious and Dead Wrong.

sbr

I really liked him when he was here doing local radio; he was good, very funny.  I didn't get to listen to him much once he went to ESPN because of his time slot, but the few times I did hear him didn't do much to make me want to find a way to listen anymore.  I can't put my finger on exactly what changed, but he seemed much more arrogant and mean-spirited than I remember him being when I listened regularly.   

Apparently he continued to get huge ratings, so he was doing something right.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Cueto to the Royals. Beeb should be happy.

katmai

Beeb is already into his Jets preseason giddiness or that aberration known as CFL.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 12:14:39 AM
Never could much stand Cowherd anyway, personally.  The guy basically has two modes:  Captain Obvious and Dead Wrong.

Yeah, guy was a dipshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017