McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2015, 12:50:17 PM
Have you blubbered up since we met?  I wouldn't have guessed 270.
I've probably lost 30 pounds since we met.  I have a very wide frame (like, linebacker wide).  When I was in high school I would say I looked 'thin' aside from a bit of a gut, and I was 220 then.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 12:48:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 12:39:45 PM
I heard a news report the other day that when the parents of over 200 obese kids were asked whether their children were "over weight" only the parents of 4 of those children answered "yes".  The researchers concluded that so many people are now overweight that being overweight is now considered normal.
I weigh 270 (but I am 6' at least) so I guess I don't have that much room to talk, but when I go into a McDonalds and see a 400 pound chick sitting there I often think "How can anyone let themselves go that far?" :hmm:

Nice humblebrag Mr. Svelte.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 12:46:34 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 12:26:48 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 10:13:03 AM
I don't eat fast food.
Fast food is for phat piple.
I have to say that, on the rare occasions that I do go into the McDonald's in my town, I'm often embarrassed to find myself the thinnest person there. :bleeding:

I heard a news report the other day that when the parents of over 200 obese kids were asked whether their children were "over weight" only the parents of 4 of those children answered "yes".  The researchers concluded that so many people are now overweight that being overweight is now considered normal.
Or they could just be in denial.  Obesity tends to sneak up on you, and the same applies to people you see every day.

Not sure what the practical difference is between being in denial about being over weight and considering it to be normal. 

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 12:55:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 12:46:34 PM
I don't eat fast food.
I have to say that, on the rare occasions that I do go into the McDonald's in my town, I'm often embarrassed to find myself the thinnest person there. :bleeding:

Or they could just be in denial.  Obesity tends to sneak up on you, and the same applies to people you see every day.

Not sure what the practical difference is between being in denial about being over weight and considering it to be normal.

:unsure:

crazy canuck

I weigh 270 (but I am 6' at least) so I guess I don't have that much room to talk, but when I go into a McDonalds and see a 400 pound chick sitting there I often think "How can anyone let themselves go that far?" :hmm:

A friend of mine recently returned from a cruise.  That was also his observation.  There were large (no pun intended) numbers of obese people 300 lbs plus who engaged in non stop eating the whole cruise.  They made up at least 50% of the people on the cruise.  His theory is that cruises are one of the few remaining places where fat people can eat as much as they want without others judging them.  Its just what people do on a cruise.  I suppose McDonalds is something like that.

DGuller

The difference is between not realizing you're fat, and thinking it's okay to be fat.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 01:07:46 PM
The difference is between not realizing you're fat, and thinking it's okay to be fat.

I hate to go all Grumbler on you, but isn't thinking being fat is normal also not realizing you are fat - eg people who are more fat then normal are the fat ones not me...

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 01:20:35 PM
I hate to go all Grumbler on you, but isn't thinking being fat is normal also not realizing you are fat - eg people who are more fat then normal are the fat ones not me...
I don't see it that way.  One error is about what is normal, and what is not.  The other error is about where you personally fall on the scale of normality.

Malthus

I don't eat fast food.

Not denying that thesis, but there could be another reasonable explaination - that is, parents who have an unusually skewed view of what "fat" is, will be more likely to willingly allow or encourage their kids to over-eat and so become overweight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 01:20:35 PM
I don't see it that way.  One error is about what is normal, and what is not.  The other error is about where you personally fall on the scale of normality.

"I'm okay, you're too fat" - The Simpsons  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 12:59:49 PM
A friend of mine recently returned from a cruise.  That was also his observation.  There were large (no pun intended) numbers of obese people 300 lbs plus who engaged in non stop eating the whole cruise.  They made up at least 50% of the people on the cruise.  His theory is that cruises are one of the few remaining places where fat people can eat as much as they want without others judging them.  Its just what people do on a cruise.  I suppose McDonalds is something like that.
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard that also... and for the record I am strongly opposed to the whole 'fat acceptance' movement.  Morbid obesity is a disease much like alcoholism with similar debilitating effects and social repercussions, and we absolutely should not 'accept' it just like we don't 'accept' alcoholism.  We don't shun and reject alcoholics, we support them and try to help them change... so should be the same with foodaholics :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2015, 10:05:31 AM
I had Chick-Fil-A for breakfast.  :)

MMMMMMMMMMM, "Homophobia" is delicious.
chicken minis? :w00t:

just a chicken biscuit sammich.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 01:32:58 PM
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard that also... and for the record I am strongly opposed to the whole 'fat acceptance' movement.  Morbid obesity is a disease much like alcoholism with similar debilitating effects and social repercussions, and we absolutely should not 'accept' it just like we don't 'accept' alcoholism.  We don't shun and reject alcoholics, we support them and try to help them change... so should be the same with foodaholics :)

This is well off-topic, but I totally disagree with you.  Studies have shown that a ridiculously small percentage of people are able to lose significant amounts of weight and keep the weight off (I seem to recall 5%) - and at 6 foot, 270 pounds, I suspect you might know a thing or two about that.  What we should do is encourage healthy eating and lifestyles, and not worry about numbers on a scale.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

:o  270? How can you even walk? Or see your penis without using a mirror?

Me and my wife together do not weight 270....
Actually we do. I weight 190 and she weights 110, so 300 flat between the two.

Still Cal, your a fat mothefucker.
You should get offended and use the hatred as motivation to do 1500 calories diet with a 1000 burn out work out.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 02:27:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 01:32:58 PM

This is well off-topic, but I totally disagree with you.  Studies have shown that a ridiculously small percentage of people are able to lose significant amounts of weight and keep the weight off (I seem to recall 5%) - and at 6 foot, 270 pounds, I suspect you might know a thing or two about that.  What we should do is encourage healthy eating and lifestyles, and not worry about numbers on a scale.

Losing weight and staying normal is easy. You just have to want to do it.