McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 03:10:36 PM
I would modify what cc said to say "it's a simple matter, but also hard."  I suspect most people who are morbidly obese are food addicts.  It's like saying to an alcoholic "Hey, you should just quit drinking."  If only it were that easy.

Yeah, I concede that point.  If it was easy to do the right thing we wouldn't have this epidemic of obesity.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2015, 03:28:40 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 03:25:39 PM

Once a week?
No wonder your are fat.

Do this little work out:
Cardio every day. One full hour. Do not get off the damn treadmill until you complete one hour. You can start easy to condition your body, but increase the speed per work out. Monday to Friday.

Monday - One hour treadmill - Start walking about 1 quarter mile, then run as fast as you can for two miles. After this, you can alternate running and walking until you complete the hour. I burn 1100 calories in one hour in the treadmill. You should burn at least 500 an hour to start. Do all your running while keeping the treadmill flat. Do not use hill simulation until your second month.

Tuesday - One hour on the eliptical. Start at resistance level 10, anything less is just walking and lying to yourself. Start slow, and then do quarter mile springs. The eliptical machine is low impact, which means your knees don't get all fucked up for running every day.

Wednesday - Repeat Monday's treadmill, increase speed.

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday's elyptical, increase resistance.

Friday - Repeat Treadmill, increase speed.

Your goal should be 1000 calories in one hour running, 800 calories in one hour elyptical.
Everyday your second hour should be upper body and core work out.
Do push up and sit up drills. You need to do pull ups too.
My favor work out is 5 pull ups, 10 dips, 15 elevated push ups, 20 sit ups, and 25 air squads. Repeatx10
Easy and fast.

You have to understand Siege, he has a job, he's not like you and me living off the government dime.

I wake up every day at 0430, Im at work at 0530 for the daily stupid meeting and accountability, after 0630 first formation, I go and do my two hour work out. At 0830 I go and shower and breakfast. At 0930 regular work/train to 1130. Lunch 1130 to 1300, then work/train to 1700.
This is a regular day. A range day, at 0930 we move to the range, no organized breaks, eat when you can while reloading ammo, keep training to about1600, then move back to the Company.

If I can fucking do it he can.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 03:08:36 PM
Recent article in the Yilantic that's on point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/weight-loss-doesnt-always-lead-to-happiness/387619/

So tell me - if it really is "a simple matter" in order to lose weight, then why don't most people lose weight?

BB, that article doesn't say that people cant lose weight.  It was about whether people who lose weight are happier and uses some pretty strained logic to conclude that it isn't necessarily the case.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 03:08:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 02:33:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 02:27:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 12:59:49 PM
A friend of mine recently returned from a cruise.  That was also his observation.  There were large (no pun intended) numbers of obese people 300 lbs plus who engaged in non stop eating the whole cruise.  They made up at least 50% of the people on the cruise.  His theory is that cruises are one of the few remaining places where fat people can eat as much as they want without others judging them.  Its just what people do on a cruise.  I suppose McDonalds is something like that.
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard that also... and for the record I am strongly opposed to the whole 'fat acceptance' movement.  Morbid obesity is a disease much like alcoholism with similar debilitating effects and social repercussions, and we absolutely should not 'accept' it just like we don't 'accept' alcoholism.  We don't shun and reject alcoholics, we support them and try to help them change... so should be the same with foodaholics :)

This is well off-topic, but I totally disagree with you.  Studies have shown that a ridiculously small percentage of people are able to lose significant amounts of weight and keep the weight off (I seem to recall 5%) - and at 6 foot, 270 pounds, I suspect you might know a thing or two about that.  What we should do is encourage healthy eating and lifestyles, and not worry about numbers on a scale.

The problem is that a ridiculously large percentage of the population have become fat compared to historical norms.

That *is* a problem.

The question is - what do you do about it?

For one thing people should stop thinking that only a ridiculously small percentage of the population can lose weight and keep it off.  It is really a simple matter of eating less even if one isn't prepared to increase their physical activity.  There may be a ridiculously small percentage for whom eating less calories might not work but surely not the majority if the majority were not fat in the past.

Recent article in the Yilantic that's on point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/weight-loss-doesnt-always-lead-to-happiness/387619/

So tell me - if it really is "a simple matter" in order to lose weight, then why don't most people lose weight?

Et tu, Beeb?  :homestar:

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 03:33:51 PM
I would modify what cc said to say "it's a simple matter, but also hard."  I suspect most people who are morbidly obese are food addicts.  It's like saying to an alcoholic "Hey, you should just quit drinking."  If only it were that easy.

Yeah, I concede that point.  If it was easy to do the right thing we wouldn't have this epidemic of obesity.

I think its a failure of society and the educational system. Kids do not even know what character is anymore.
They are all taught to do what they like, not what is right.

sbr

Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2015, 03:28:40 PM

Once a week?
No wonder your are fat.

Do this little work out:
Cardio every day. One full hour. Do not get off the damn treadmill until you complete one hour. You can start easy to condition your body, but increase the speed per work out. Monday to Friday.

Monday - One hour treadmill - Start walking about 1 quarter mile, then run as fast as you can for two miles. After this, you can alternate running and walking until you complete the hour. I burn 1100 calories in one hour in the treadmill. You should burn at least 500 an hour to start. Do all your running while keeping the treadmill flat. Do not use hill simulation until your second month.

Tuesday - One hour on the eliptical. Start at resistance level 10, anything less is just walking and lying to yourself. Start slow, and then do quarter mile springs. The eliptical machine is low impact, which means your knees don't get all fucked up for running every day.

Your goal should be 1000 calories in one hour running, 800 calories in one hour elyptical.
My favor work out is 5 pull ups, 10 dips, 15 elevated push ups, 20 sit ups, and 25 air squads. Repeatx10
Easy and fast.

You have to understand Siege, he has a job, he's not like you and me living off the government dime.

I wake up every day at 0430, Im at work at 0530 for the daily stupid meeting and accountability, after 0630 first formation, I go and do my two hour work out. At 0830 I go and shower and breakfast. At 0930 regular work/train to 1130. Lunch 1130 to 1300, then work/train to 1700.
This is a regular day. A range day, at 0930 we move to the range, no organized breaks, eat when you can while reloading ammo, keep training to about1600, then move back to the Company.

If I can fucking do it he can.

Your work out is part of your regular work day.  What about the guy who spends 12 hours away from home with work and commute, then has to fit the work out in?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: sbr on April 01, 2015, 03:39:58 PM
What about the guy who spends 12 hours away from home with work and commute, then has to fit the work out in?
That guy is fucking WEAK! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 03:38:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 03:33:51 PM

I think its a failure of society and the educational system. Kids do not even know what character is anymore.
They are all taught to do what they like, not what is right.

I will go with you part way.  I think it ties into another piece I heard on the CBC that scientists are beginning to think there is a link between a lack of exposure to the sun and the explosion of near sightedness.  The thought had been that it has been caused by people staring at screens for so long each day but apparently they have controlled for that variable and they have concluded kids just don't get outside enough. ie they just don't get enough physical activity.

MadImmortalMan

It's not a good idea to eat while handling ammo. Especially reloading mags that you just fired from.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 03:47:21 PM
I will go with you part way.  I think it ties into another piece I heard on the CBC that scientists are beginning to think there is a link between a lack of exposure to the sun and the explosion of near sightedness.  The thought had been that it has been caused by people staring at screens for so long each day but apparently they have controlled for that variable and they have concluded kids just don't get outside enough. ie they just don't get enough physical activity.

Are there kids who don't like going outside?  If there is daylight my kids insist on playing outside as much as possible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Once a week?
No wonder your are fat.

Do this little work out:

Easy and fast.
Thank you.  Good stuff.  Right now I use the treadmill at the gym whenever I go and then switch to lifting.  I usually use the treadmill for 30 mins (which I agree isn't enough) and then lift for the next 30.  I typically use machines and my arms have gotten much bigger over the past year... so much so that my shirts are almost always tight through the arms/sleeves. :cool:

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2015, 03:42:07 PM
QuoteLunch 1130 to 1300

90 minute lunch? :lol:

In the Army?
Fuck yeah. Add all the hours, from 0530 when I report to 1700.
Even taking out breakfast and lunch, 90 minutes each, we still work for 11.5 hours daily.
Then we do night shooting ranges, sometimes completely overnight, sometimes to about 0200 in the morning next day.
Then we deploy, and work 24/7 in a shithole far from our families.
And we also go to schools, sometimes 30 days away from home.

So don't give me shit for my 90 minutes lunch. This aint a normal job.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2015, 04:00:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 03:47:21 PM

Are there kids who don't like going outside?  If there is daylight my kids insist on playing outside as much as possible.

I dunno - I remember being told "go outside and play" more than a few times as a kid.

So I'd just take whatever book I was reading and read it outside. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I played outside a lot when I was a younger kid, but as soon as I got a computer, all I ever wanted to do was play it and program it.  That lasted till college, pretty much. :blush:

DAMN YOU COMMODORE BUSINESS MACHINES! *shakes fist*