McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 02:27:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 12:59:49 PM
A friend of mine recently returned from a cruise.  That was also his observation.  There were large (no pun intended) numbers of obese people 300 lbs plus who engaged in non stop eating the whole cruise.  They made up at least 50% of the people on the cruise.  His theory is that cruises are one of the few remaining places where fat people can eat as much as they want without others judging them.  Its just what people do on a cruise.  I suppose McDonalds is something like that.
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard that also... and for the record I am strongly opposed to the whole 'fat acceptance' movement.  Morbid obesity is a disease much like alcoholism with similar debilitating effects and social repercussions, and we absolutely should not 'accept' it just like we don't 'accept' alcoholism.  We don't shun and reject alcoholics, we support them and try to help them change... so should be the same with foodaholics :)

This is well off-topic, but I totally disagree with you.  Studies have shown that a ridiculously small percentage of people are able to lose significant amounts of weight and keep the weight off (I seem to recall 5%) - and at 6 foot, 270 pounds, I suspect you might know a thing or two about that.  What we should do is encourage healthy eating and lifestyles, and not worry about numbers on a scale.

The problem is that a ridiculously large percentage of the population have become fat compared to historical norms.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 02:33:29 PM
A friend of mine recently returned from a cruise.  That was also his observation.  There were large (no pun intended) numbers of obese people 300 lbs plus who engaged in non stop eating the whole cruise.  They made up at least 50% of the people on the cruise.  His theory is that cruises are one of the few remaining places where fat people can eat as much as they want without others judging them.  Its just what people do on a cruise.  I suppose McDonalds is something like that.
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard that also... and for the record I am strongly opposed to the whole 'fat acceptance' movement.  Morbid obesity is a disease much like alcoholism with similar debilitating effects and social repercussions, and we absolutely should not 'accept' it just like we don't 'accept' alcoholism.  We don't shun and reject alcoholics, we support them and try to help them change... so should be the same with foodaholics :)

This is well off-topic, but I totally disagree with you.  Studies have shown that a ridiculously small percentage of people are able to lose significant amounts of weight and keep the weight off (I seem to recall 5%) - and at 6 foot, 270 pounds, I suspect you might know a thing or two about that.  What we should do is encourage healthy eating and lifestyles, and not worry about numbers on a scale.

The problem is that a ridiculously large percentage of the population have become fat compared to historical norms.

That *is* a problem.

The question is - what do you do about it?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

T-shirts that say "NO FAT CHICKS" would probably be a good start.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 02:43:36 PM

That *is* a problem.

For one thing people should stop thinking that only a ridiculously small percentage of the population can lose weight and keep it off.  It is really a simple matter of eating less even if one isn't prepared to increase their physical activity.  There may be a ridiculously small percentage for whom eating less calories might not work but surely not the majority if the majority were not fat in the past.

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 02:29:19 PM
:o  270? How can you even walk? Or see your penis without using a mirror?

Me and my wife together do not weight 270....
Actually we do. I weight 190 and she weights 110, so 300 flat between the two.

Still Cal, your a fat mothefucker.
You should get offended and use the hatred as motivation to do 1500 calories diet with a 1000 burn out work out.
You are right to try to shame me.  That is, in fact, a motivation to lose weight, which I agree that I should do and have been doing. :)

edit: btw I can see my schlong just fine and can not only walk, but also run which I do on a treadmill at least once a week if not more. :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 02:59:53 PM

That *is* a problem.

For one thing people should stop thinking that only a ridiculously small percentage of the population can lose weight and keep it off.  It is really a simple matter of eating less even if one isn't prepared to increase their physical activity.  There may be a ridiculously small percentage for whom eating less calories might not work but surely not the majority if the majority were not fat in the past.

Recent article in the Yilantic that's on point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/weight-loss-doesnt-always-lead-to-happiness/387619/

So tell me - if it really is "a simple matter" in order to lose weight, then why don't most people lose weight?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

I disagree. To lose weight and stay in weight the only thing you need is to make your diet and work out routine a way of life.
The human body was made for WAR, and if you think you can live your life seating in front of a computer, you are sadly mistaken.

Do cardio every day, not the same cardio, but cardio from Monday to Friday, for a full hour, and then another hour of upper body and core exercises. With a 1500 to 2000 calori diet, you will be one mean mothefuckar in no time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

I would modify what cc said to say "it's a simple matter, but also hard."  I suspect most people who are morbidly obese are food addicts.  It's like saying to an alcoholic "Hey, you should just quit drinking."  If only it were that easy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 03:08:36 PM

That *is* a problem.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/weight-loss-doesnt-always-lead-to-happiness/387619/

So tell me - if it really is "a simple matter" in order to lose weight, then why don't most people lose weight?

:huh: Because they don't want to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Dysfunctional relationship with food.

Malthus

Well, assuming your article is accurate:

QuoteIf valid and reproducible however, their results bring up the likelihood that weight loss in and of itself doesn't come with the fanfare often expected of it. And if weight loss isn't making people happy, that could explain, at least in part, why many people struggle to keep weight off.  "This could definitely contribute to the notoriously poor success people have with maintaining their new lower body weight after achieving significant weight loss," Jackson says. "If people do not find the benefits of being slimmer outweigh the costs involved in maintaining this, then they may slip back into old ways."

Clearly, the problem is that the overweight are simply not shamed enough:P If we as a society made them truly miserable, they would gain more happiness from losing weight, and so be more likely to do so!  :D

But more seriously - losing weight and keeping it off long-term is damned hard in our society, because so many common entertainments and social rituals are built around eating. It is like trying to quit smoking in a society in which sharing a cigar is the most common sign of good manners.

In my experience it is pretty easy for someone of willpower to lose weight reasonably quickly - by sticking to a specific diet and avoiding temptations. Thing is, you have to basically announce to the world that you are doing it - no participation in dinners, no going to birthday parties, etc. etc.

However, keeping weight off isn't so simple - it requires a permanent lifestyle change. You can't think of it as "dieting", but actually change your habits so you eat sensibly all the time. If you fail to do this, you just gain all that carefully-lost weight back again.

Changing one's basic eating habits is hard - much harder than "dieting". You have to stop thinking in the same way about your lifestyle.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 03:04:48 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 02:29:19 PM
:o  270? How can you even walk? Or see your penis without using a mirror?

Me and my wife together do not weight 270....
Actually we do. I weight 190 and she weights 110, so 300 flat between the two.

Still Cal, your a fat mothefucker.
You should get offended and use the hatred as motivation to do 1500 calories diet with a 1000 burn out work out.
You are right to try to shame me.  That is, in fact, a motivation to lose weight, which I agree that I should do and have been doing. :)

edit: btw I can see my schlong just fine and can not only walk, but also run which I do on a treadmill at least once a week if not more. :P

Once a week?
No wonder your are fat.

Do this little work out:
Cardio every day. One full hour. Do not get off the damn treadmill until you complete one hour. You can start easy to condition your body, but increase the speed per work out. Monday to Friday.

Monday - One hour treadmill - Start walking about 1 quarter mile, then run as fast as you can for two miles. After this, you can alternate running and walking until you complete the hour. I burn 1100 calories in one hour in the treadmill. You should burn at least 500 an hour to start. Do all your running while keeping the treadmill flat. Do not use hill simulation until your second month.

Tuesday - One hour on the eliptical. Start at resistance level 10, anything less is just walking and lying to yourself. Start slow, and then do quarter mile springs. The eliptical machine is low impact, which means your knees don't get all fucked up for running every day.

Wednesday - Repeat Monday's treadmill, increase speed.

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday's elyptical, increase resistance.

Friday - Repeat Treadmill, increase speed.

Your goal should be 1000 calories in one hour running, 800 calories in one hour elyptical.
Everyday your second hour should be upper body and core work out.
Do push up and sit up drills. You need to do pull ups too.
My favor work out is 5 pull ups, 10 dips, 15 elevated push ups, 20 sit ups, and 25 air squads. Repeatx10
Easy and fast.

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2015, 03:10:47 PM

That *is* a problem.

:huh: Because they don't want to.

I would say because they don't have the discipline.
That's why they say it does not conduct to happiness, because for some people discipline is not happiness.
It comes to character. Being fat is to be weak of character.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 01, 2015, 03:25:39 PM

Once a week?
No wonder your are fat.

Do this little work out:
Cardio every day. One full hour. Do not get off the damn treadmill until you complete one hour. You can start easy to condition your body, but increase the speed per work out. Monday to Friday.

Monday - One hour treadmill - Start walking about 1 quarter mile, then run as fast as you can for two miles. After this, you can alternate running and walking until you complete the hour. I burn 1100 calories in one hour in the treadmill. You should burn at least 500 an hour to start. Do all your running while keeping the treadmill flat. Do not use hill simulation until your second month.

Tuesday - One hour on the eliptical. Start at resistance level 10, anything less is just walking and lying to yourself. Start slow, and then do quarter mile springs. The eliptical machine is low impact, which means your knees don't get all fucked up for running every day.

Wednesday - Repeat Monday's treadmill, increase speed.

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday's elyptical, increase resistance.

Friday - Repeat Treadmill, increase speed.

Your goal should be 1000 calories in one hour running, 800 calories in one hour elyptical.
Everyday your second hour should be upper body and core work out.
Do push up and sit up drills. You need to do pull ups too.
My favor work out is 5 pull ups, 10 dips, 15 elevated push ups, 20 sit ups, and 25 air squads. Repeatx10
Easy and fast.

You have to understand Siege, he has a job, he's not like you and me living off the government dime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Fat shaming is all well and good, but society needs a lot more stupid shaming. Democracy made people think that just because their vote has value their opinions have intellectual value. Newsflash, morans: they don't!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.