McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 10:18:56 AM
Our main problem, imo, is that the type and amount of food we consume has changed.

Yep, and our lifestyles. But in the past when we busted our ass to make that food (or buy it when it was very expensive to do so) it made sense we would mark a celebration by eating it. Now it doesn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2015, 10:19:26 AM
My grandmother recalled that, when she was a kid, she would be punished if she left the table with uneaten food on her plate!

That's the way I grew up.  The punishment was generally "you'll sit there until you finish that food!" so it wasn't like I was beaten or anything.

Camerus

Quote from: Camerus on April 02, 2015, 10:14:28 AM
Did people have fewer social gatherings 50 or 100 years ago?   :)

I think the obesity epidemic has more to do with larger portion sizes, greater availability of and reliance on crappy processed foods, and perhaps a lack of self-control in eating that previous generations were taught as children.

I agree that these are all factors, but the single greatest factor is that people 100 years ago did a very great deal more physical work in everyday life.

Yeah, probably true.  To what extent do you think that is true for middle class people, however (who admittedly are less likely to be obese than working class people nowadays)?

There was no tradition of teaching "self-control in eating" in the past. On the contrary, my parents' parents were basically made to eat as much as possible. My grandmother recalled that, when she was a kid, she would be punished if she left the table with uneaten food on her plate!

Since you're relying on anecdotal evidence...  My grandmother recalled that, when she felt hungry after dinner, her parents told her, "great, then you'll be ready for breakfast tomorrow!" rather than letting her snack in the evening. 

That's what self-control is, not making sure children eat all the vegetables on their dinner plate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 10:21:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 10:18:56 AM
Our main problem, imo, is that the type and amount of food we consume has changed.

Yep, and our lifestyles. But in the past when we busted our ass to make that food (or buy it when it was very expensive to do so) it made sense we would mark a celebration by eating it. Now it doesn't.

Agreed. 

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 10:16:55 AM
My anniversary is coming up (six years! Holy shit) and I was looking around at places we could go eat and I thought: 'why the hell are we going to go out for a dinner? We are both dieting. We should do something to celebrate besides eat'

And I discovered how weird that felt. Damn how do you celebrate without eating again?  :blush:

I don't think one night of indulging is going to ruin your diet. Wine and dine is just how people celebrate.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

There was no tradition of teaching "self-control in eating" in the past. On the contrary, my parents' parents were basically made to eat as much as possible. My grandmother recalled that, when she was a kid, she would be punished if she left the table with uneaten food on her plate!

Don't have to go back as far as your Grandmother.  It was the same when I was growing up.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2015, 10:16:06 AM
Not really, no. All that is necessary is that the amount of calories you consume on those occasions be over the amount you require for that day. Even slightly over will do - assuming you are eating exactly what you require every other day.

Point is that it is cumulative over a very long period of time.
Your food consumption is not an open loop system.  There are a lot of factors that counter-balance each other, if you let them.  Hunger, metabolism, energy level, and the type of food you eat, all those things are functions of each other.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2015, 10:35:06 AM
Your food consumption is not an open loop system.  There are a lot of factors that counter-balance each other, if you let them.  Hunger, metabolism, energy level, and the type of food you eat, all those things are functions of each other.

If you eat too much today, that's generally not going to give you a reduced appetite tomorrow.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

Quote from: Liep on April 02, 2015, 10:23:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 10:16:55 AM
My anniversary is coming up (six years! Holy shit) and I was looking around at places we could go eat and I thought: 'why the hell are we going to go out for a dinner? We are both dieting. We should do something to celebrate besides eat'

And I discovered how weird that felt. Damn how do you celebrate without eating again?  :blush:

I don't think one night of indulging is going to ruin your diet. Wine and dine is just how people celebrate.

Yeah, my rule of thumb is "your body remembers what you do most of the time."

Besides which, there are surely healthier options on the menus of most restaurants.

Valmy

Exactly. You have to be aware of it and take actions to not be fat. Which seems kind of backwards to me but I look forward to impressing people by merely not being overweight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on April 02, 2015, 10:22:03 AM
My grandmother recalled that, when she was a kid, she would be punished if she left the table with uneaten food on her plate!

That's the way I grew up.  The punishment was generally "you'll sit there until you finish that food!" so it wasn't like I was beaten or anything.

I had to "clean my plate" when I was a kid.  I try to make sure my kids eat everything on their plates, but that's mainly because I don't want them bugging me two hours later that they're hungry.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Camerus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 10:24:54 AM

Don't have to go back as far as your Grandmother.  It was the same when I was growing up.

Again, I don't envision self control so much as "making sure you finish what's on your plate" as limiting snacking after meals or consumption of desserts or junk foods.

Valmy

Quote from: Camerus on April 02, 2015, 10:40:49 AM

Yeah, my rule of thumb is "your body remembers what you do most of the time."

Besides which, there are surely healthier options on the menus of most restaurants.

Yes if we go out to eat we will make sure it is on plan. You should not be cheating on your diet just a month or so in, especially since we intend for this to be a permanent change.

Valmy

Quote from: Camerus on April 02, 2015, 10:42:09 AM

Again, I don't envision self control so much as "making sure you finish what's on your plate" as limiting snacking after meals or consumption of desserts or junk foods.

Not things Americans of the 1960s were particularly famous for. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2015, 10:16:06 AM
Not really, no. All that is necessary is that the amount of calories you consume on those occasions be over the amount you require for that day. Even slightly over will do - assuming you are eating exactly what you require every other day.

Point is that it is cumulative over a very long period of time.

The point is that it is very easy to increase weight by small increments of eating more than your metabolism, activity level, etc. require. When you do that, your body stores the excess as fat, for later ... and continues to do so. It is not necessary to imitate Nero's Rome in gluttony.

The cure of course is to eat slightly less that your body requires based on metabolism, activity level, etc.

I've done both, carefully keeping track of eating and exercise, and it "works", at least for me. If I slightly undereat, I reliably lose weight; if I slightly overeat, I reliably gain it.

Not sure why this should be controversial.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius