California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Latest Israeli desalination plant only cost $500 million, a huge reduction in cost. Previous plants have cost in the billions.

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/534996/megascale-desalination/

A billion dollar plant is opening in 2016 that will provide San Diego with 50 million gallons a day
http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/drought-resilience-desalination-plant-california
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 04:10:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 03:48:39 PM
You mean trying to grow crops in the desert is a bad idea? Wow. I'm shocked.

Weird given how much agricultural produce California generates each year. :mellow:
The desert regions?

Those dust bowl signs are generally in the Central Valley which is the agricultural heartland of California. Not sure I'd call it a desert region - that's more like the Palm Springs area which not surprisingly isn't a big agricultural region. :D

And note, both regions were on that map showing regions facing big water issues.

All the lawns/golf courses in Palm Springs should be banned, though.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 19, 2015, 06:51:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 04:10:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 03:48:39 PM
You mean trying to grow crops in the desert is a bad idea? Wow. I'm shocked.

Weird given how much agricultural produce California generates each year. :mellow:
The desert regions?

Those dust bowl signs are generally in the Central Valley which is the agricultural heartland of California. Not sure I'd call it a desert region - that's more like the Palm Springs area which not surprisingly isn't a big agricultural region. :D

And note, both regions were on that map showing regions facing big water issues.

All the lawns/golf courses in Palm Springs should be banned, though.

I've no problem with that but rich people would probably be pretty annoyed.

Also, I realized I was wrong. There is a decent amount of farm land around Coachella which is pretty desert-like. Originally started up because of all the natural aquifers that were there. Now apparently it relies on water siphoned from the Colorado River.

dps

The Colorado doesn't really have a mouth left anymore.  All its water is drawn off before it reaches the sea.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2015, 06:38:29 PM
Latest Israeli desalination plant only cost $500 million, a huge reduction in cost. Previous plants have cost in the billions.

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/534996/megascale-desalination/

A billion dollar plant is opening in 2016 that will provide San Diego with 50 million gallons a day
http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/drought-resilience-desalination-plant-california

What about the fish???.?  :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grinning_Colossus

California only has a year of cheap water left at current usage. Right now, a lot of water-intensive agriculture is practiced in the San Joaquin Valley, rice being the most egregious example. Global warming is only going to make the state more arid, so we need to concentrate on more appropriate Mediterranean produce and let places like Louisiana start growing more of the thirsty crops.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

MadImmortalMan

I'm sure they've been adapting for a while now. You can already see huge swathes of land with dead walnut and almond trees being removed down there. That's gotta be a time-consuming mess though. Several unproductive seasons worth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 20, 2015, 02:31:10 AM
California only has a year of cheap water left at current usage. Right now, a lot of water-intensive agriculture is practiced in the San Joaquin Valley, rice being the most egregious example. Global warming is only going to make the state more arid, so we need to concentrate on more appropriate Mediterranean produce and let places like Louisiana start growing more of the thirsty crops.

Rice is grown in several Mediterranean places, most notably Valencia and the Po valley. In fact Spain has the same problem (although not as severe) on its own highly agricultural but severely dry SE,

jimmy olsen

California's fucked.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/03/20/california_megadrought_it_s_already_begun.html
QuoteCalifornia's Next Megadrought Has Already Begun

By Eric Holthaus
465639979-small-pool-of-water-is-surrounded-by-dried-and-cracked_2 Expect more of this. Above, the Almaden Reservoir in January 2014 in San Jose, California.

Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

As California limps through another nearly rain-free rainy season, the state is taking increasingly bold action to save water.

On Tuesday, the California state government imposed new mandatory restrictions on lawn watering and incentives to limit water use in hotels and restaurants as part of its latest emergency drought regulations. On Thursday, California Gov. Jerry Brown announced a $1 billion plan to support water projects statewide and speed aid to hard-hit communities already dealing with shortages. Last month federal water managers announced a "zero allocation" of agricultural water to a key state canal system for the second year in a row, essentially transforming thousands of acres of California farmland into dust.
Advertisement

This week's moves come after the state has fallen behind targets to increase water efficiency in 2015 amid the state's worst drought in 1,200 years. Last year, voters passed a $7.5 billion water bond and the legislature approved its first-ever restrictions on groundwater pumping, which won't go into full effect until 2025. Stricter, more immediate limits on water use are possible as summer approaches.
FT_150320_Drought2 TheCalifornia drought has intensified during its four-year duration, with 40 percent of the state now in "exceptional drought," the highest category.

Courtesy of U.S. Drought Monitor

But it's not enough. These moves are small potatoes compared to what's needed to reign in statewide water use, of which agriculture forms the vast majority. Last week, a pair of op-eds, one in the Guardian, the other in the Los Angeles Times, spoke with urgency about the West's growing water crisis.

"California has no contingency plan for a persistent drought like this one (let alone a 20-plus-year mega-drought), except, apparently, staying in emergency mode and praying for rain," wrote NASA water scientist and University of California-Irvine professor Jay Famiglietti. A better plan, he said, was for "immediate mandatory water rationing" across the state. Famiglietti's work has focused on the shocking recent declines in groundwater across the West, where excessive pumping has caused the ground to sink at rates up to a foot per year and a measurable rise in global sea levels.

Underlying the frantic, short-term search for water is an ominous underlying trend that threatens to fundamentally transform America's most important agricultural state. Climate change may have already initiated a new megadrought.

But first, a reality check: California's cities have more than enough water to withstand the current drought and then some. They simply don't use that much. Not true for agriculture, which uses 80 percent of California's water—10 percent of that just on almonds. Though it's still a national powerhouse, fed increasingly by fast-depleting groundwater supplies, the state's agriculture industry has likely begun a long-term decline due mostly to simple math. Abnormally dry conditions have dominated in 11 of the last 15 years, and the cuts have to come from somewhere. Agriculture is the elephant in the ever-shrinking room of California water.

Statewide, California's snowpack is now at a record low—just 12 percent of normal, and less than half of last year's astonishingly meager total. Normally, California's snowpack holds the equivalent of about 15 million acre-feet of water around its traditional April 1 peak, about as much as all the state's reservoirs combined. This year, it's as if half of the state's water reserves simply vanished. It's difficult to imagine the hardship the state will face this summer as the rivers of snowmelt that normally feed the state during the dry season dwindle dangerously. As I wrote last year during my drought-themed reporting trip across the West, California just wasn't built to handle a world without snow.

But it's not just California. It's been freakishly hot out West all winter. Other states are also suffering, with record low water levels expected this year in the two major reservoirs on the Colorado River—Lake Mead and Lake Powell. The warm winter has helped to dry up the land even more, and pre-emptively melt what little snow has graciously fallen.

If a megadrought has already begun— and there is increasingly strong evidence to support that it has, or will soon—there will be widespread implications, including a significant reshifting of California agriculture outside the state. The California of the past is gone, and climate change is bringing a new one faster than it seems we're ready for.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)