California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I was at Lake Almanor a couple weeks ago, and it looked like the water level was down at least ten feet from normal. All the summer homes along the eastern shore had boat docks that didn't reach the water. Also, most of them were on the market.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

There's about a fifth of a cubic kilometre for each person on the planet, given California is on the coast, how could they possibly run out of water.   :smarty:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

The alpine lakes hold a crapload too. They say Tahoe has enough water in it to cover California more than a foot deep. It's difficult to wrap your mind around how much it is.

I heard the other day that Baikal has 20% of the world's fresh water. If so, then Tahoe must have a significant percentage as well.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 18, 2015, 05:35:51 PM
The alpine lakes hold a crapload too. They say Tahoe has enough water in it to cover California more than a foot deep. It's difficult to wrap your mind around how much it is.

I heard the other day that Baikal has 20% of the world's fresh water. If so, then Tahoe must have a significant percentage as well.

Yeah, there's a Lot of purely fresh water in the world too.

I'd probably make a Yi like argument and say California's problem is in large part a failure to accurately price the scarcity/'true' value of the fresh water in the state.

lustindarkness

The problem is not lack of water, just too many people, a well placed nuke would fix the problem, for a while at least.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

I don't really think it's the people, tbh. California has an absolute crapload of reservoirs. They're everywhere. There's definitely enough water for the population to drink. They've already been shutting off the taps for agriculture though. That's been going on for a long time. Take a trip down I-5 and you can't avoid it.

Those farmers are throwing a fit over it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2015, 05:40:08 PM
I'd probably make a Yi like argument and say California's problem is in large part a failure to accurately price the scarcity/'true' value of the fresh water in the state.

Odd use of the conditional.

California should probably stop handing out free water to farmers.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 18, 2015, 06:05:47 PM
I don't really think it's the people, tbh. California has an absolute crapload of reservoirs. They're everywhere. There's definitely enough water for the population to drink. They've already been shutting off the taps for agriculture though. That's been going on for a long time. Take a trip down I-5 and you can't avoid it.

I did a quick google and it appears California's average rainfall 23-24 inches per annum is very close England's average, but we have around four times more people per square mile and we have a fair amount of agriculture too, but generally we've no real shortage of water, plus we have Wales and possibly Scotland to one day call upon in a national emergency.

The problem seems to be a lack of water conservation across many areas of California.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_25090363/california-drought-water-use-varies-widely-around-state

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 18, 2015, 06:05:47 PM

I like how the sign appears to be defaced, and was originally proud of the CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL.

Anyway, they're right.  A presidential dictatorship would sort this problem out in no time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

You mean trying to grow crops in the desert is a bad idea? Wow. I'm shocked.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 03:48:39 PM

Weird given how much agricultural produce California generates each year. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 03:58:01 PM

Weird given how much agricultural produce California generates each year. :mellow:
The desert regions?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 19, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 03:58:01 PM

The desert regions?

Those dust bowl signs are generally in the Central Valley which is the agricultural heartland of California. Not sure I'd call it a desert region - that's more like the Palm Springs area which not surprisingly isn't a big agricultural region. :D

And note, both regions were on that map showing regions facing big water issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Modesto gets a little over 13 inches of rain a year.  I don't think that's quite a desert but it's got to be pretty close.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2015, 04:17:53 PM
Modesto gets a little over 13 inches of rain a year.  I don't think that's quite a desert but it's got to be pretty close.

That's about desert.  Most of the water that comes to the Central Valley is from the mountains.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017