The Cops Can Pretty Much Always Search Your Smartphone in Canada

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2015, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 12:46:04 AM
By the way, I love the fact that this is the cop story that is creating controversy on Languish this week.

Why are you not all up in arms about the Fergusson report?

I posted in the Fergusson thread that the Justice Department allegations were absolutely devastating against that city.

I think nobody wanted to argue the contrary, and so the thread sank on Languish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Well, derspiess and Yi were doing their racist shtick nonetheless.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 01:02:44 AM
Well, derspiess and Yi were doing their racist shtick nonetheless.

Derspeiss has occasionally descended to racist "schtick" (though misogynist "schtick" is more his usual style).

I don't think Yi has ever descended into "schtick".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

So, your point is that their racism is genuine and not a shtick?  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 01:01:23 AM
By the way, I love the fact that this is the cop story that is creating controversy on Languish this week.

I posted in the Fergusson thread that the Justice Department allegations were absolutely devastating against that city.

I think nobody wanted to argue the contrary, and so the thread sank on Languish.

I found the mayor's reaction interesting, which amounted to little more than, "meh." But it seems not even the US media seem overly interested in the matter anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Bill Maher thought this was the most important news piece of the last week. That being said, his show was the first place I heard about it, so you may be right.

It's amazing how such widespread and systemic (and, in all likelihood, not unique) abuse of power got so little coverage. To me this is much worse than cops killing unarmed people.

MadImmortalMan

I thought the USBP was pretty limited in what they can ask you. I mean, wtf is it their business what I was doing in Germany or whatever. There are lots of youtube videos of people telling them to fuck off. I'm not sure there's actually any legal authority for them to ask you anything. It's just like a favor. If you want to talk about it, go ahead. If not, they can't make you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 03:48:30 AM
Bill Maher thought this was the most important news piece of the last week. That being said, his show was the first place I heard about it, so you may be right.

It's amazing how such widespread and systemic (and, in all likelihood, not unique) abuse of power got so little coverage. To me this is much worse than cops killing unarmed people.

It was all over CNN.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

I thought we did talk about it.  I want more of these investigations done.  The more we seriously talk about this stuff the better and put pressure where appropriate.

For too long this stuff has been something we joked about, but I never found it very funny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

You don't live here.  How do you know how much coverage it is getting?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2015, 08:14:15 AM

You don't live here.  How do you know how much coverage it is getting?

I live here.   :P

grumbler

Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2015, 06:02:35 PM
*Yawn*  Okay, you got your ad hom of the hour out of the way.  Hope you feel better.

I feel great, thanks for asking :)

I'm amused that you consider it an ad hom to imply that you quibble over precise word definitions. But if it makes you feel better, then by all means.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2015, 09:57:20 AM
Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you.

See... this is much more of an ad hom, I would think.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 01:04:39 AM
Derspeiss has occasionally descended to racist "schtick" (though misogynist "schtick" is more his usual style).

Um, when was that? :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall