Random History Geek Thing You'd Like To Do

Started by Queequeg, June 17, 2009, 09:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Living in a village, our cats live a rather free life, roaming the neighborhood at night, and not living within the house with us. As such, most of them dies pretty young, I can safely say I saw at least a dozen of our cats die either at birth or after several years. It usually does not move me the slightest.

Similarly, I can not say I care much about the wildlife being hunted by people who get an erection from shooting them from afar.

But the fact remains: you are killing a living being just for the act of killing.

saskganesh

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 07:04:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:01:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 06:57:15 AM
I think hunting for sport is immoral and evil, regardless of the weapon used. Hunting in order to survive or feed the people you are responsible for, is a necessity, and should be carried out in the most efficient way.
What about when hunting isn't necessary for survival, but the hunter consumes his kills anyway?  The vast majority of hunters I know eat the deer/pheasant/etc. they shoot.

Well I assume most of them are doing the hunting for the thrill of it, ergo its a sport and evil. Altough I do understand wild animal population must be kept in check.

so how do you feel about fishing? that's hunting too, sometimes on an industrial scale.
humans were created in their own image

Tamas

Quote from: saskganesh on June 18, 2009, 07:59:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 07:04:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:01:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 06:57:15 AM
I think hunting for sport is immoral and evil, regardless of the weapon used. Hunting in order to survive or feed the people you are responsible for, is a necessity, and should be carried out in the most efficient way.
What about when hunting isn't necessary for survival, but the hunter consumes his kills anyway?  The vast majority of hunters I know eat the deer/pheasant/etc. they shoot.

Well I assume most of them are doing the hunting for the thrill of it, ergo its a sport and evil. Altough I do understand wild animal population must be kept in check.

so how do you feel about fishing? that's hunting too, sometimes on an industrial scale.

My moral stance on this is complicated enough without adding fishes to it. :P

Malthus

One thing is sure: you won't find many Canadians converting to Jainism. They aren't allowed to swat mosquitos:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Tamas, that argument wasnt as convincing as it could have been. I'll still go on killing 'for the sake of killing', as you call it, although I enjoy the marksmanship practise and opportunity to be alone outside.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Viking on June 17, 2009, 10:38:56 PM
Hear the Rebel Yell.
And then see the treasonous slavers get mowed down by machine gun fire supplied by time traveling Black Panthers.
PDH!

Tamas

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2009, 08:34:27 AM
marksmanship practise and opportunity to be alone outside.

Thats precisely my point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Faeelin

I support this abstention from hunting.

Stopping by the grocery store is far more efficient.

jimmy olsen

I want to visit Gettysburg in July and see a reenactment of the battle.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2009, 05:15:51 AM
I want to participate in one of the South's many vain and brave charges against union lines.
Are you suggesting that you would be okay in dying in one of said charges as well?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2009, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2009, 05:15:51 AM
I want to participate in one of the South's many vain and brave charges against union lines.
Are you suggesting that you would be okay in dying in one of said charges as well?
It would certainly be okay with me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2009, 09:49:46 AM
I want to visit Gettysburg in July and see a reenactment of the battle.
I will be in Gettysburg in early July. Let's have a date.