Random History Geek Thing You'd Like To Do

Started by Queequeg, June 17, 2009, 09:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I think hunting for sport is immoral and evil, regardless of the weapon used. Hunting in order to survive or feed the people you are responsible for, is a necessity, and should be carried out in the most efficient way.

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 06:57:15 AM
I think hunting for sport is immoral and evil, regardless of the weapon used. Hunting in order to survive or feed the people you are responsible for, is a necessity, and should be carried out in the most efficient way.
What about when hunting isn't necessary for survival, but the hunter consumes his kills anyway?  The vast majority of hunters I know eat the deer/pheasant/etc. they shoot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:01:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 06:57:15 AM
What about when hunting isn't necessary for survival, but the hunter consumes his kills anyway?  The vast majority of hunters I know eat the deer/pheasant/etc. they shoot.

Well I assume most of them are doing the hunting for the thrill of it, ergo its a sport and evil. Altough I do understand wild animal population must be kept in check.

Ed Anger

QuoteI want to participate in one of the South's many vain and brave charges against union lines.

I think I speak for many of us that we'd like you to take a shot from the Dictator siege mortar in the chest. Mew. Squee. Pshaw.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

BTW, Psellus, I am looking for PBEM players for the boardgame Assyrian Wars. check the Pax Britannia thread in the Gaming forum.

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 07:04:24 AM
Well I assume most of them are doing the hunting for the thrill of it, ergo its a sport and evil. Altough I do understand wild animal population must be kept in check.
:mellow: Ladies and gents, this is why the Russians will conquer Europe in like 15 minutes the next time they invade. :)

Slargos

I would like to shoot a russian with a musket.

A HK441 will do, but preferably a musket.

Lettow77

Really tamas- Evil? Isnt that a bit of a stretch? They arent sentient, you know. Dominion over animals comes with the package of being the master race of our planet.  The value of animals is usually measured against how much they help or please humanity.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:12:38 AM
:mellow: Ladies and gents, this is why the Russians will conquer Europe in like 15 minutes the next time they invade. :)

Uhm, shooting Russians is a duty.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:12:38 AM

Hungarians are mere shadows of their former selves, with them being being anally raped at Lechfeld and Mohacs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2009, 07:19:21 AM
Really tamas- Evil? Isnt that a bit of a stretch? They arent sentient, you know. Dominion over animals comes with the package of being the master race of our planet.

Mew

Lettow77

Yes, yes, mew, I know. Because I like cats.

Well, its a caricature of myself im willing to run with, because it has a basis in reality.

mew.

That doesnt distract from the matter at hand, though. Animals still dont have any rights, and if it pleases a human to kill them due to the challenge, tradition, atmosphere or whatever, I dont see how that is evil. decadent west.

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 07:20:09 AMUhm, shooting Russians is a duty.
Seriously tho, while you're entitled to your opinion, it surprises me given the fact that FB has showed me pictures of your village and it looks like you live in a rural setting.  I expect that kind of "lol killen animals is TEH EV0L" response from some city-dwelling fruit who is living in an unnatural fantasy world, but not someone who lives where you do.  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 07:22:46 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2009, 07:20:09 AMUhm, shooting Russians is a duty.
Seriously tho, while you're entitled to your opinion, it surprises me given the fact that FB has showed me pictures of your village and it looks like you live in a rural setting.  I expect that kind of "lol killen animals is TEH EV0L" response from some city-dwelling fruit who is living in an unnatural fantasy world, but not someone who lives where you do.  :huh:

Well, I have no problems with livestock being massacred by the thousands to feed humans, or see my grandma slice the neck of a chicken. (too bad I never got around doing it myself)
I just don't like the main motivation behind hunting animals in modern Europe, which is the adrenalin rush of it. I know this is not the entire thing behind hunting, so it is probably strong to call hunting evil, but the sport aspect of it IS evil, and the stronger it is, the more despisable the entire act becomes.

And Lettow, a cat-lover of all people should very well know that these animals are sentinent.

Lettow77

Tamas, that's an interesting point.  I will tell you what I know about cat's sentience. They can learn from experiences. They can feel emotions- even the somewhat abstract ones like loyalty. They can establish likes and dislikes. 

But, can they reason, or philosophise? What do they know of the world? Certaintly they cant communicate to us. Alright, so is this gap great enough to justify their slaughter for pleasure?

You've convinced me, Tamas, that perhaps they are sentient in some sense of the term. (How often do people in internet arguments stop and think through what the opposition says?) However, they arent human.  I personally would never kill a cat due to my fondness for them, and I even think it beyond the pale, as species with a long history of domestication have earned a measure of loyalty from us. 

So, I kill birds and squirrels fairly regularly. Do these animals love, Tamas? Did they have ambitions which I disrupted? And if that -is- the case, why should this cause me duress?  I'd be interested to hear what you have to say on the matter.