Random History Geek Thing You'd Like To Do

Started by Queequeg, June 17, 2009, 09:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I was watching The Most Dangerous Game (worst Russian I've ever heard, btw) when I heard a reference to the "Tartar bow".  I googled it, and found this
http://www.wildwoodarchery.com.au/tartar_bow.shtml

How awesome would it be to hunt with this? Usually I think hunting a poor large animal with anything but a knife or your bare teeth is cheating, but the strength and skill required on that would be impressive, even though I'd never be able to use it as it was meant (on horseback) or be as good as the original users (who could hit birds from far distances at galloping speeds). 

Do you have anything similar?  Want to own an old sword or something?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

Did someone drop you on your head when you were little?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

BuddhaRhubarb

I like having old stuff that has a good story behind it. heirlooms. I have some old paintings that have been in my family for generations. Not "worth anything" monetarily, But there's history there.
:p

Phillip V

Admiral Yi

It would be cool to participate in and recieve a cavalry charge.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2009, 02:30:31 AM

Have you at least seen one IRL?

I remember seing one years ago. It's pretty cool to get an idea of the reality behind the words.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2009, 03:56:23 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2009, 02:30:31 AM

Have you at least seen one IRL?

I remember seing one years ago. It's pretty cool to get an idea of the reality behind the words.

Just to clarify things, "receiving a cavalry charge" is not an euphemism here?  :huh:

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2009, 04:47:05 AM

Just to clarify things, "receiving a cavalry charge" is not an euphemism here?  :huh:

Only in your sicko mind :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

Very strongly seconded, regarding the rebel yell..I want to participate in one of the South's many vain and brave charges against union lines.

As for the weaponry thing, I just wish I had one of the prettiful gaelic leather slings i've seen, or the change to see skilled ancient practitioners of the weapon. Its a lonely hobby, at times.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

saskganesh

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2009, 09:50:45 PM
Usually I think hunting a poor large animal with anything but a knife or your bare teeth is cheating

and THAT's how I earned the respect of the yardies in the Octagon.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2009, 09:50:45 PMUsually I think hunting a poor large animal with anything but a knife or your bare teeth is cheating
Usually I think hunting a poor large animal with a knife or your bare teeth is, at best, completely nonproductive, and at worst suicidal.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points