It's Bibipalooza! Live, from Congress! One show only!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 03, 2015, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2015, 11:55:57 AM
Is Yi a radical?

I am sure Siege would consider him an establishment sellout and enemy of the people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2015, 11:55:57 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2015, 10:33:46 AM
Amazing the lengths the radicals in each party will go to justify anything their tribe does.

Is Yi a radical?

From the standpoint of knee-jerk defending his tribe, very much so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 09:04:23 AM
Which is the same thing Charlie Wilson did, but in that case it was not objectionable.  Or am I missing something?

What exactly did Charlie Wilson do?  All I know about him is that he was pro aid to the Afghan rebels; Massoud maybe?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 13, 2015, 01:31:51 PM
What exactly did Charlie Wilson do?  All I know about him is that he was pro aid to the Afghan rebels; Massoud maybe?

Met with Zia ul-Haq, discussed more aid for Afghans and how it should be channeled.

Also met with Egyptian defense officials to arrange arms transfers.

Do you not watch movies?

Valmy

Yeah but again he was working with the executive branch to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Yi is gonna make this square peg fit this round hole if it takes all day.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:35:25 PM

Met with Zia ul-Haq, discussed more aid for Afghans and how it should be channeled.

How did that undermine the administration?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:35:25 PM

Do you not watch movies?

Saw it a while ago, didn't recall the exact details, wouldn't necessarily trust Hollywood to get it accurate anyway.

The kinds of things you are talking about seem more like overseas "fact-finding" missions where the discussion centers around implementation of existing policy.   There is  precedent for that sort of thing although if the administration was not kept in the loop it would seem a bit dicey to me.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:59:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2015, 01:53:34 PM
How did that undermine the administration?

I don't think it does.

So that's the difference.

Talking to foreign governments with the buy-in of the administration, in pursuit of the administration's foreign policy goals is very different than talking to foreign governments without the buy-in of the administration, and with the explicit intention of undermining the foreign policy goals of the administration.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2015, 02:49:05 PM

Talking to foreign governments with the buy-in of the administration, in pursuit of the administration's foreign policy goals is very different than talking to foreign governments without the buy-in of the administration, and with the explicit intention of undermining the foreign policy goals of the administration.

Unless the second is done indirectly.

Apparently.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 02:53:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2015, 02:49:05 PM

Unless the second is done indirectly.

Apparently.

That doesn't seem that difficult a distinction to make.

Berkut

So Yi, you are seriously suggesting that it is "fair pool" for members of the Senate to directly communicate with foreign belligerent powers with the express intent of sabotaging ongoing negotiations undertaken by the executive?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2015, 03:08:48 PM
That doesn't seem that difficult a distinction to make.

It's a trivially easy distinction to make.

My point is that it seems like a fairly minor and technical point to hang a constitutional argument on.