News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dress Megathread

Started by Syt, February 27, 2015, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:53:21 PM
Wait why is your canteen filled with water?  Going hiking?
Ok I lied... it's filled with bourbon. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2015, 01:23:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:53:21 PM
Wait why is your canteen filled with water?  Going hiking?
Ok I lied... it's filled with bourbon. :blush:
:cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

My wife showed the picture to me, and I said "blue and black" without a second thought.  I thought it was a total non-story until she said that she saw white and gold. 

The real dress is blue and black, so I was right :yeah:

I have found that some optical illusions that work on others don't work on me.  One theory I have read is that people like me tend to be a "small picture" guy who focuses on the details and ignore the "big picture".  I see blue and say it is blue, ignoring all other hints in the photo which may influence others into thinking it is something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2015, 02:38:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 12:16:19 AM
I have always wonder how differently we experience qualia like colors.  Since everyone can only see through their own eyes (except blind people), there is no way to know if the blue someone else sees is perceived exactly the same as you perceive it.

:yes:

I seem to recall a study that vocabulary plays a role, too, in that if you have more words in a language to distinguish between shades then you will also find it easier to perceive the differences.

And also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinction_of_blue_and_green_in_various_languages
:yes: There are definite times when Koreans mix them up when speaking in English
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2015, 02:45:18 AM
Yeah. I find it really fascinating that so everyone is naturally seeing it in such totally different ways and that, despite all the explanations I've read and real pictures I've seen I can't, no matter how much I try, see that dress as blue and black.

It's like an optical illusion that makes sense but that you still can't see.

Yeah, at least with things like the old/young lady you can train yourself to see both.  I can only see the white and gold no matter how much a try to see the black and blue.

mongers

Can we take this dress, rap it up very carefully in brown paper, ask the three people who 'decide' internet memes to take it to Toronto, find the 'preppers' tunnel, get them to go down and place it, reverentially at the far end of the construction. And whilst they're doing that, get CdM to backfill the fucking tunnel using a JCB, which I'll have gladly paid for.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I guess Mongers is off his meds or something.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 02, 2015, 05:43:35 PM

Maybe he sold them to afford a JCB?

How much does a JCB cost these days?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2015, 05:54:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 02, 2015, 05:43:35 PM

Maybe he sold them to afford a JCB?

How much does a JCB cost these days?

Don't know, perhaps 25 grand?

edit:
this'll do, a bit above UKP 25,000 , but at least it's in Canada:

http://www.jcb.co.uk/Products/Used-Equipment-Home-Page/Used-Equipment-Detail-Page.aspx?LangID=1&stockID=5503

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Eddie Teach

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney