News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dress Megathread

Started by Syt, February 27, 2015, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've since moved firmly to the blue/black camp, and have trouble to see it white/gold for more than a split second before it "morphs" back in to its real colors.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

To be honest, for me it really is sepia and lavender grey. :unsure:

Or, to put it differently, I am open to a debate about white vs. blue as the colour is somewhere in between and depending on lighting could be either - but there is no way in hell the other colour is black. It could be some darker brown shade (say, taupe) or it could be yellowish (ochre or copper, say), so gold is somewhere in the approximate range - but not black.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Here's a better graphic illustrating the blue shadow vs. yellow light decision the brain has to make when processing the image (it uses the same shades for the dress left and right according to Photoshop).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

It still doesn't make the other colour "black".

Martinus

And in that picture it's blue-grey and brown-yellow in both cases. :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 03:50:33 AM
It still doesn't make the other colour "black".

No, if you check the color palette of the original picture in something like Photoshop then it's indeed not black.

However, the brain auto-adjusts color perception for environmental factors, like lights and shadows. Only that this image appears to be in a fuzzy range where the brain has problems deciding whether the dress is under intense yellow light or under a blue shade and can go either way.

It's kind of how the brain sometimes has trouble interpreting 3d data that's presented in 2d (e.g. the spinning dancer that seems to spin clockwise and/or counterclockwise).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 02:52:36 AM

Or, to put it differently, I am open to a debate about white vs. blue as the colour is somewhere in between and depending on lighting could be either - but there is no way in hell the other colour is black. It could be some darker brown shade (say, taupe) or it could be yellowish (ochre or copper, say), so gold is somewhere in the approximate range - but not black.

Do you spend a lot of time studying the cards at paint stores?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Kleves

I can't see it as anything but white/gold. Even in those graphics, both dresses look white/gold.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2015, 03:59:57 AM
It's kind of how the brain sometimes has trouble interpreting 3d data that's presented in 2d (e.g. the spinning dancer that seems to spin clockwise and/or counterclockwise).

I actually never, no matter how hard I tried, could see that dancer spinning in both directions - I always see her spinning in the same direction. :P

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 02:52:36 AM

First time I saw the picture I said it was blue and brown.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2015, 02:45:18 AM
Yeah. I find it really fascinating that so everyone is naturally seeing it in such totally different ways and that, despite all the explanations I've read and real pictures I've seen I can't, no matter how much I try, see that dress as blue and black.

It's like an optical illusion that makes sense but that you still can't see.

Same here, I just can't see the black.  I sorta can see the case for blue, but that's never black in a million years to my eyes.