And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dress Megathread

Started by Syt, February 27, 2015, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2015, 07:02:48 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2015, 06:59:13 AM
The dress is actually blue and black.  That shot is heavily overexposed or something.

Yes but I think whoever sees the picture as blue and black or close to it needs to fucking stop using a near pitch-black monitor

I see blue and black clear as day, and I have a 2560x1440 IPS monitor with very good color fidelity.

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2015, 09:54:40 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 09:51:23 AM
I am tired of hearing about that stupid dress.

End of Western civilization as we know it? :unsure:

I guess I just have more important things in life to worry about.

No Lusti, I was agreeing with you. :)

Yes, I know. And Western Civilization has ended as we know it anyway, see: reality TV.

I blame it on BBC producers with too much time on their hand, trawling Twitter and mumsnet etc for these silly non-stories. :rolleyes:

But you know, I bet this'll make out national news programmes this evening. :bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on February 27, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
The dress is actually blue and black.  That shot is heavily overexposed or something.

Yes but I think whoever sees the picture as blue and black or close to it needs to fucking stop using a near pitch-black monitor

I see blue and black clear as day, and I have a 2560x1440 IPS monitor with very good color fidelity.

I still see white and gold, but I don't know what the fuss is all about, it is a badly made photo displayed on a myriad of monitors with a myriad of picture settings etc. Now, if the clothing could produce this effect when seen directly by people, THAT would be interesting. But it doesn't, of course, because on the non-fucked up photos I see the original colours.

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2015, 10:32:29 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 27, 2015, 10:29:05 AM

I still see white and gold, but I don't know what the fuss is all about, it is a badly made photo displayed on a myriad of monitors with a myriad of picture settings etc. Now, if the clothing could produce this effect when seen directly by people, THAT would be interesting. But it doesn't, of course, because on the non-fucked up photos I see the original colours.

A and B are the same colours, do you think that would depend on what monitors you were looking at?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I saw so many postings about that thing before I finally saw an article that explained it.
It is obviously blue and black.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 07:02:43 AM
I could swear it was white and gold, then i googled and found the dress in better lighting and now i can only see it as black and blue

It is white and gold.  Although my boys both see black and blue.  Mike and Mike did a poll on it for their show this morning and most people say black and blue.

Syt

An Austrian news site has a poll, too.
- Gold/White
- Black/Blue
- I think a bag of rice fell over in China
- I think a bag of rice fell over in China - it was gold/white
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2015, 12:34:10 PM
I could swear it was white and gold, then i googled and found the dress in better lighting and now i can only see it as black and blue

It is white and gold.  Although my boys both see black and blue.  Mike and Mike did a poll on it for their show this morning and most people say black and blue.

The dress is, in fact, blue and black.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Even in the so-called obvious "black and blue" pics, it still looks mostly white/gold.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 12:46:51 PM

That article was posted to make the black and blue crowd feel better about their incorrect choice.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2015, 12:55:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 12:46:51 PM

That article was posted to make the black and blue crowd feel better about their incorrect choice.

:yes:

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 27, 2015, 12:53:13 PM
Even in the so-called obvious "black and blue" pics, it still looks mostly white/gold.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 11:05:23 AM
A and B are the same colours, do you think that would depend on what monitors you were looking at?

having looked at the image data in Gimp, I think this illusion only works because the colors are greyscale.  "Grey" is created by setting the red, green, and blue channels to the same value.  The image creates the shadowing effect on the chessboard by shifting the intensity of the grey value, which means changing the three channels by the same amount.  The shadow in the cylinder requires adjusting the balance of the channels, thus the colors will still look different when taken out of context.

Syt

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/white-and-gold-black-and-blue-dress-the-colors-the-colors-ahhhh

QuoteSo the entire world is melting down over the color of this dress. Some people see white and gold. Others see blue and black.

I've now (somehow) seen both, looking at the same image, at different times.

I've also been trying to understand how this is possible all morning, and this image below finally helped me do that. Basically, when looking at the photo of the dress, our brains are trying to figure out if it's a blue/black dress in yellow light or a white/gold dress with a blue shadow over it.

To us, both of those things render about the same, so our brains have to make a snap decision.

Still confused? Me too. This whole thing is a mess. I'm going to take a nap.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

The whole thing is hilarious, even the broadsheet papers are picking up on this. :lol: