News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dress Megathread

Started by Syt, February 27, 2015, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 01:44:17 PM
The whole thing is hilarious, even the broadsheet papers are picking up on this. :lol:

I saw it on the news in the canteen in my office this morning.  I was thinking 'amazing I had not seen on Languish'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 01:44:17 PM
The whole thing is hilarious, even the broadsheet papers are picking up on this. :lol:
Its quite interesting. Such a quick burning thing.
At least I hope it is quick burning
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:48:42 PM
I saw it on the news in the canteen in my office this morning.  I was thinking 'amazing I had not seen on Languish'.
Weird, my canteen only contains water.  I want one of these super-high tech canteens I guess you can get in Texas. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2015, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:48:42 PM
Weird, my canteen only contains water.  I want one of these super-high tech canteens I guess you can get in Texas. :hmm:

Sorry I strangely used a British-ism there without realizing it.

Cafeteria ok?

Wait why is your canteen filled with water?  Going hiking?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:53:21 PM
Sorry I strangely used a British-ism there without realizing it.

Cafeteria ok?

Nope, too late.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2015, 01:34:32 PM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/white-and-gold-black-and-blue-dress-the-colors-the-colors-ahhhh

Those shadowed areas look distinctly different to me.

The general premise is sound, though.  "Color" is the portion of the visible spectrum not absorbed by the object in question.  Thus, the appearance of the object will change based on the actual spectral content of the light illuminating the object.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2015, 01:54:46 PM
Nope, too late.

Never too late to stop the encroachment of British-isms into our pure American vocabulary.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I strongly feel the dress should have its own (possibly pinned) thread :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

If anything ever deserved a megathread it would be #thedress.

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 27, 2015, 01:57:20 PM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/white-and-gold-black-and-blue-dress-the-colors-the-colors-ahhhh

The general premise is sound, though.  "Color" is the portion of the visible spectrum not absorbed by the object in question.  Thus, the appearance of the object will change based on the actual spectral content of the light illuminating the object.

They look the same to me. This is a quick copy paste image:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 03:12:42 PM
If anything ever deserved a megathread it would be #thedress.

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 27, 2015, 01:57:20 PM

They look the same to me. This is a quick copy paste image:

I did a check in Photoshop, and they're not the same shade, though I guess they exaggerated for effect.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I am really really baffled by this. My mind is still blown.

However best thing about the dress is that 90% of my work day was spent talking to people about the dress.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

A dress has not been discussed this much in America since the days of Clinton.

Martinus

Fireblade is a librarian at a public library and they have a road sign. Today it read "It's black and blue" :D

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!