News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2015, 04:36:07 PM
Is lying on an affadavit (sp?) considered perjury?

Yes.  Though proving perjury is awfully tough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2015, 04:48:45 PM
I'd guess the producers of the TV programme might have the best, biggest claim against him; I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't clauses in the contract/s he signed that ask him to affirm his past as attested by him is real.

Cause TV isn't about smoke and mirrors. At all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on February 24, 2015, 04:43:52 PM
I don't know;  I'd think he meant he'd been in something like the WWII French Marquis.  Well, if he was old and French, but you get the idea.

Well yeah, context is important.  These days maybe he was a volunteer to defend the Assyrians from ISIS.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2015, 04:51:53 PM
I'd guess the producers of the TV programme might have the best, biggest claim against him; I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't clauses in the contract/s he signed that ask him to affirm his past as attested by him is real.

Financial loss is very real to any company.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2015, 04:55:28 PM

It'd be hard to prove damages, though.  I don't know what the ratings are for the show, but it would be almost impossible to prove that they would have been different depending on how accurately his stories about his service are.  Even if the ratings go down now, and they cancel it, well, shows decline in the ratings and get cancelled all the time.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

To me a combat veteran is somebody who's participated in an armed conflict serving on an organized military body; either a government army or a mercenary outfit. Dunno if Teti's "contractor work" qualifies as the latter.

That said, the screenie that somebody posted with his resume is written in that assholish way of being probably truthful, but obviously misleading.

mongers

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2015, 04:41:14 PM
My question is, can a civilian be a combat veteran?
I have never met anybody that claimed to a "civilian combat veteran".
But then, I have always been surrounded by people that have served.

You guys are the only civilians that I speak with, so do you see a civilian contrator as a combat veteran, or is the term reserved especificly for people serving their country?

I think they'd be a mercenary, if part of some organised military-like body, otherwise couldn't you describe a common or garden gunman/thug as a 'civilian combat veteran'.

mongers

Quote from: dps on February 24, 2015, 05:02:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2015, 04:55:28 PM

It'd be hard to prove damages, though.  I don't know what the ratings are for the show, but it would be almost impossible to prove that they would have been different depending on how accurately his stories about his service are.  Even if the ratings go down now, and they cancel it, well, shows decline in the ratings and get cancelled all the time.

Well Lance Armstrong is getting his ass handed to him for lying and cheating, and those doing the damage are sponsor companies, insurers etc.

derspiess

Do NOT tell me the show "Mountain Monsters" isn't 100% real.  Because it is :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 04:26:13 PM
Even if he could spin this as a truthful statement, it is still told in such a way as to give a false impression, so yes it is a fucking lie from a normal person point of view.  From a soulless law talking point of view?  Not sure.

As a soulless law talker, I would point out that the SVA is a criminal statute.  And there is a rule that criminal laws are to be interpreted strictly.  For very soulful reasons.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2015, 05:31:02 PM
Do we need a "Stolen Valor" megathread? :unsure:

Maybe we should just call it the "Siege Spazs out megathread".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Oh man, what happened with the Stolen Valor thread?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2015, 04:24:02 PM
If you say "I am a special forces operator combat veteran", and the SF stint was not in combat, and his deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan were as a civilian, then you are fuckin lying. Do you agree with me?

Oh, the guy appears to be a lying scumbag on top of being a reality TV scumbag.  I hope he loses his job and the entire network that broadcasts shit like his show goes belly-up.

That still doesn't mean he's in violation of the SVA.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!