Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Baby With Lesbian Mothers In Michigan

Started by Martinus, February 19, 2015, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on February 19, 2015, 05:24:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
but how do you prevent the trend if you don't prevent the individual act?  everyone will point back that that clinic and say "it's allowed".

Of course, one doctor is hardly a problem, and she found them a replacement.  But I see a disturbing trend here, with medical care being applied according to one's religion.
Do you really want to be treated by a doctor who doesn't want to treat you?

We should do better at screening racists/homophobes out of the medical education system on the front end. I don't think the answer is for the government to prevent doctors from exercising discretion with regard to which patients they will and will not see.

I'm on medicaid, that's all I get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
but how do you prevent the trend if you don't prevent the individual act?  everyone will point back that that clinic and say "it's allowed".

Of course, one doctor is hardly a problem, and she found them a replacement.  But I see a disturbing trend here, with medical care being applied according to one's religion.

We should do better at screening racists/homophobes out of the medical education system on the front end. I don't think the answer is for the government to prevent doctors from exercising discretion with regard to which patients they will and will not see.

I'm on medicaid, that's all I get.
Yeah, it sucks. You may see better results seeking care at academic hospitals where residents are trained rather than private practice. Residents don't care what insurance you have because they don't see any money from the care they provide - we're salaried by Medicare.

What's your income level? If you made ~14,000 a year you could get a BlueCross/BlueShield plan with massive (nearly 100%) subsidy.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Fate

Well, shit. Go work 40 hours a week at Walmart as a greeter or something. That should be enough to earn 101% of the federal poverty level so that you can qualify for your free Obamacare bronze plan or your $25/month Obamacare silver plan.

Razgovory

crazy canuck

Once again Marti fails at being a lawyer.  The article he posted states that Michigan is not one of the states which prohibits a doctor from refusing to provide service on the grounds of sexual orientation.  In fact Marti bolded that line.  Marti should be venting his anger at the legislative body which permits the doctor to make this decision not the Doctor who is conducting themselves within their legal obligations.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2015, 07:54:13 PM
Once again Marti fails at being a lawyer.  The article he posted states that Michigan is not one of the states which prohibits a doctor from refusing to provide service on the grounds of sexual orientation.  In fact Marti bolded that line.  Marti should be venting his anger at the legislative body which permits the doctor to make this decision not the Doctor who is conducting themselves within their legal obligations.

What is tragic is that Crazy Canuck wasn't there to explain to William Wallace's men that they shouldn't vent anger at the lords who exercised their right of primae noctae, since it was within their legal prerogative.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

It's a general principle.  A doctor should treat anyone, without bias at race, gender, sexual orientation or such.  An army doctor will treat ennemy combattant made prisoners.  A prison doctor will treat the rapist & the killers.  I don't expect him to like all his patients, I expect him/her to do his work. 

We should do better at screening racists/homophobes out of the medical education system on the front end.
Agree.  There was an interesting case in Nova Scotia not long ago, in a dental faculty.

QuoteI don't think the answer is for the government to prevent doctors from exercising discretion with regard to which patients they will and will not see.
Doesn't the government already does this for many private businesses?  If the owner's religion believe being gay or black is a sin, is he really allowed to refuse employment or service to that person?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 09:51:43 PM
It's a general principle.  A doctor should treat anyone, without bias at race, gender, sexual orientation or such.  An army doctor will treat ennemy combattant made prisoners.  A prison doctor will treat the rapist & the killers.  I don't expect him to like all his patients, I expect him/her to do his work. 

Well, when you become a lawyer or doctor or other professional, go ahead and apply this "provide service regardless of all other considerations" approach.  Just don't hope that all professionals will follow your example.

QuoteDoesn't the government already does this for many private businesses?  If the owner's religion believe being gay or black is a sin, is he really allowed to refuse employment or service to that person?

Sure, lawyers can refuse to accept clients on any basis or none, unless the law prohibits.  So do any other services or businesses not providing a public accommodation.  Sometimes they have to be disingenuous about their reasons...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

I wonder if stories like this don't hurt the cause of equality more than help it. At some point, meaningless slights like this should be let go rather than parlayed into national outrage and a witch hunt. There is still impactful discrimination out there, but stories like this can just drown it out.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

We should do better at screening racists/homophobes out of the medical education system on the front end.
Is it really better to have a worse doctor*, or no doctor at all, rather than a doctor who will only accept certain patients (assuming they're not like an emergency room physician or something)?

*I assume that if you kick out the bigoted medical student, you would be replacing them with someone they beat out to get into medical school.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Fate

There are far more qualified applicants than there are medical school spots. The health of our society would be no worse off if such individuals were screened out. Being a decent human being is just as important as a high MCAT score or undergraduate GPA. Even if we can't put a standardized number next to it.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2015, 10:08:17 PM
Well, when you become a lawyer or doctor or other professional, go ahead and apply this "provide service regardless of all other considerations" approach.  Just don't hope that all professionals will follow your example.
I do.  So long as the client pays, I provide services.  I don't care if the project is a waste of public funding or my client is a drug dealer, so long as I expect to get paid, I will provide the services I am required.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2015, 09:44:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2015, 07:54:13 PM

What is tragic is that Crazy Canuck wasn't there to explain to William Wallace's men that they shouldn't vent anger at the lords who exercised their right of primae noctae, since it was within their legal prerogative.

What is even more tragic is that Dorsey cant distinguish between laws enacted in a democratic nation with a supervisory court and laws enacted and enforced by feudal lords.