Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Baby With Lesbian Mothers In Michigan

Started by Martinus, February 19, 2015, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Fate on February 19, 2015, 01:53:30 PM
This doctor is an idiot. You don't need a reason to refuse to take on a new patient. She could have just simply said "I can't see your daughter", gave a referral, and left it at that. Stating it was because the parents are lesbians just leaves you open to needless attention, and now the national media is going to shine a spotlight on this woman for her lack of common sense.

I think the complication is that the doctor had agreed to take their daughter on as a patient, and is now backing out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2015, 01:32:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 19, 2015, 01:06:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2015, 01:04:55 PM
My reality has been a hell of a lot more real than your suburban Limousine Libertarian ass.

No, not really.

Yeah, I totally forgot how many years you were knee-deep in the black inner city community.

That particular experience does not define the totality of what is "real". There is an entire world outside your narrow little slice.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2015, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: Fate on February 19, 2015, 01:53:30 PM
This doctor is an idiot. You don't need a reason to refuse to take on a new patient. She could have just simply said "I can't see your daughter", gave a referral, and left it at that. Stating it was because the parents are lesbians just leaves you open to needless attention, and now the national media is going to shine a spotlight on this woman for her lack of common sense.

I think the complication is that the doctor had agreed to take their daughter on as a patient, and is now backing out.
You also don't have to give a reason to fire a patient (in the US, at least.) Give the parents a 15 day notice in writing, provide emergency services in the interim, and don't open your mouth about your parochial religious/political views. Then CNN and the local NBC affiliate wouldn't have to put cameras outside your office doorstep leading you to become the embarrassment of pediatricians nationwide.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2015, 02:07:19 PM
Perhaps she felt no motivation to avoid the spotlight.

Are you suggesting she is an agent provocateur, trying to show the horrors of sexuality based discrimination?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 02:11:53 PM
Are you suggesting she is an agent provocateur, trying to show the horrors of sexuality based discrimination?

I am suggesting that she might be the type of person that acts on principle without considering the public relations issues.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2015, 01:04:55 PM
This forum's been dead since the 2004 election, just nobody's decided to lay down yet.

Yeah, with an assist from you for banning / chasing off people.

If you had unlimited power to ban the people you feel detract from the forum, I think there would be five people left. Tragic I won't be around to see it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2015, 02:37:54 PM
If you had unlimited power to ban the people you feel detract from the forum, I think there would be five people left. Tragic I won't be around to see it.

All five of them would be your socks anyway, Bundy.  You sociopath.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2015, 11:54:37 AM
I think it is all about access to services.  If a number of doctors start refusing to service black people, to the point where black people start having difficulty obtaining medical care, then yeah, the government needs to step in.

If it's a few isolated cases, and in particular like here the doctor takes steps to find an alternate service provider, I'm not bothered by it.
but how do you prevent the trend if you don't prevent the individual act?  everyone will point back that that clinic and say "it's allowed".

Of course, one doctor is hardly a problem, and she found them a replacement.  But I see a disturbing trend here, with medical care being applied according to one's religion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
But I see a disturbing trend here, with medical care being applied according to one's religion.

Well yeah that's a thing.  Each state has to sort that out best they can.  So far 22 say no.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2015, 03:12:38 PM

true.  Alfred is not on his list.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 11:48:45 AM
It is just mind bogglingly stupid that pro-lifers have chosen Planned Parenthood as their bĂȘte-noire.  They should be working with Planned Parenthood in a fight to reduce the number of abortions.  I mean only the insane would be both against contraception and family planning AND abortion.  I mean that is so idiotic one would think their policy is to undermine society.

Hello there!

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
but how do you prevent the trend if you don't prevent the individual act?  everyone will point back that that clinic and say "it's allowed".

Of course, one doctor is hardly a problem, and she found them a replacement.  But I see a disturbing trend here, with medical care being applied according to one's religion.
Do you really want to be treated by a doctor who doesn't want to treat you?

We should do better at screening racists/homophobes out of the medical education system on the front end. I don't think the answer is for the government to prevent doctors from exercising discretion with regard to which patients they will and will not see.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2015, 03:12:38 PM

true.  Alfred is not on his list.

He banned me before. When I first showed up as Alfred Russel for making a post he didn't like about Catholicism. Basically hazing the new guy. Oddly about the time new posters stopped showing up. He is sort of like the robot that freezes guys that manage to escape in Logan's Run but in reverse--he is the last line of defense making sure no one gets in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014