Utah House Votes to Bring Back Execution by Firing Squad

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2015, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on February 15, 2015, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2015, 03:16:15 PM
Man I would hate to be one of the guys asked to gun down one of those poor bastards.

Don't worry, you might be the one with the blank.
You'd know from the lack of recoil if you just fired a blank round.

Dummy (wax) rounds are sometimes used (they have realistic recoil), but blanks are only used by people running a firing squad who don't quite know what they are doing.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Grumbler remembers nailing captured slaves to the crosses on the Appian Way.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

A decade or two ago, executions were primarily by firing squad in China.  They now mainly use lethal injection. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2015, 07:08:30 PM
A decade or two ago, executions were primarily by firing squad in China.  They now mainly use lethal injection. 

Fascinating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 15, 2015, 06:33:12 PM

He was stationed in Judea in the time of Christ, and even hear him speak once.  It was at that "he who is without sin cast the first stone" thing.  He ran off to find the biggest rock he could.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2015, 08:19:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 15, 2015, 06:33:12 PM

He was stationed in Judea in the time of Christ, and even hear him speak once.  It was at that "he who is without sin cast the first stone" thing.  He ran off to find the biggest rock he could.
Legio X Fretensis FTW

Grumbles is my hero
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

You know, I really wouldn't mind if the Utah legislature brought back execution by stoning.

Drakken

Quote from: grumbler on February 15, 2015, 06:27:28 PM
You'd know from the lack of recoil if you just fired a blank round.

Dummy (wax) rounds are sometimes used (they have realistic recoil), but blanks are only used by people running a firing squad who don't quite know what they are doing.  :P

IIRC, that's what they had done when they executed Gary Gilmore : they used volunteer police officers who didn't know what they were doing.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

DontSayBanana

On second thought, considering the brain stem comment, maybe we should take a page from the No Country for Old Men playbook and just use cattle bolts to the base of the skull.  Super-efficient and relatively cheap, especially for agriculture-heavy states. :P
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 15, 2015, 10:26:59 PM
On second thought, considering the brain stem comment, maybe we should take a page from the No Country for Old Men playbook and just use cattle bolts to the base of the skull.  Super-efficient and relatively cheap, especially for agriculture-heavy states. :P

They give a good kick.  Fucking scary machines to use.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zoupa

How bout y'all don't kill prisoners instead?

/euro ball of light

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on February 15, 2015, 11:37:00 PM

/euro ball of light

But that would mean the US can no longer be part of the elite club consisting of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Belarus.

Josquius

Can't it be done by tigers?
I mean, if you're going for rule of cool evil villainy as well go the whole way
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2015, 12:58:03 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 15, 2015, 11:37:00 PM

/euro ball of light

But that would mean the US can no longer be part of the elite club consisting of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Belarus.

And we'd have to join the same club as Russia, Cambodia and Angola.