Utah House Votes to Bring Back Execution by Firing Squad

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2015, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 15, 2015, 01:10:16 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2015, 01:06:17 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 15, 2015, 12:42:28 PM
I actually don't get the big deal.  Execution should be as close to instantaneous death as possible, and from what's been observed so far, a firing squad would be much closer to that than a lethal injection.

Shouldn't they go with a neck shot then?

Brain stem.

I meant base of the skull, in German "Genick". Something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genickschussanlage
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2015, 01:10:37 PM
Or even better, instead of execution, we can imprison convicts in giant caged hamster wheels to generate electricity.
...which is then stored in giant capacitors and used in electric chairs to execute them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on February 15, 2015, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2015, 01:10:37 PM
Or even better, instead of execution, we can imprison convicts in giant caged hamster wheels to generate electricity.
...which is then stored in giant capacitors and used in electric chairs to execute them.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Man I would hate to be one of the guys asked to gun down one of those poor bastards. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2015, 03:16:15 PM
Man I would hate to be one of the guys asked to gun down one of those poor bastards. 

What if they have good health insurance, and free water bottles?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 15, 2015, 03:44:34 PM

What if they have good health insurance, and free water bottles?

Free water bottles?  Well ok I would have to think about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

I bet they could get lots of volunteers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2015, 03:58:10 PM

I bet they could get lots of volunteers.

We have a hell of a time finding people in Texas to just do lethal injections.  But maybe an opportunity to use guns will bring out a certain demographic.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2015, 04:00:49 PM

We have a hell of a time finding people in Texas to just do lethal injections.  But maybe an opportunity to use guns will bring out a certain demographic.

Yeah, but you are trying to get doctors for that, and you have a bunch of interest groups asking questions about medical ethics and licensing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on February 15, 2015, 12:59:42 PM
Maybe instead of a firing squad they could just shoot the person in the back of the head from close range?

Didn't they do that in Russia?

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2015, 04:22:58 PM
Maybe instead of a firing squad they could just shoot the person in the back of the head from close range?

Not nearly enough. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2015, 04:22:58 PM

The Chinese have a system based on swift and efficient executions, that seems to reduce the stress suffered by the condemned people.

Of course they fall down rather on the whole justice and the guilty/not-guilty bit. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

In the U.S., the defendant has the right to face his accuser, even during the sentencing phase.

Drakken

Don't worry, you might be the one with the blank.