Utah House Votes to Bring Back Execution by Firing Squad

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2015, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 16, 2015, 02:28:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2015, 12:58:03 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 15, 2015, 11:37:00 PM
How bout y'all don't kill prisoners instead?

/euro ball of light

But that would mean the US can no longer be part of the elite club consisting of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Belarus.

And we'd have to join the same club as Russia, Cambodia and Angola.

If you can show me a single civilized country that has death penalty, please do.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2015, 02:57:52 AM

/euro ball of light

But that would mean the US can no longer be part of the elite club consisting of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Belarus.

If you can show me a single civilized country that has death penalty, please do.

Besides the US? Japan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Singapore and Taiwan too.  Not sure if you count India as civilised, but it is a democracy. 

Ideologue

If you support life imprisonment, you support both the death penalty and torture.

If you support only long prison sentences short of life, then congratulations.  You only support torture.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2015, 03:35:29 AM
If you support life imprisonment, you support both the death penalty and torture.

If you support only long prison sentences short of life, then congratulations.  You only support torture.

Bet if there were some Jews up in this motherfucker, there'd be some executions going on in Europe.  For real.  No doubt.  You know dat's right.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2015, 03:20:09 AM
Singapore and Taiwan too.  Not sure if you count India as civilised, but it is a democracy.

I wouldn't call Singapore civilised. It is a dictatorship.

Admiral Yi

This "all the cool kids are doing it" argument would work a lot better if y'all didn't act like retards so often.

dps

grumbler

/euro ball of light

That's been tried as well - in fact, most US states don't kill prisoners.

It doesn't work, though.  Criminals still torture and kill innocent people, even in states where prisoners aren't killed.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  At least you are trying to help.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I thought it odd that he was posting that shortly after we had just had a discussion about a Euro killer who seemed to get too little time for his previous violent attempt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2015, 02:57:52 AM

/euro ball of light

AR did.  So I suppose you can start with the mea culpas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

My understanding is that, in the Japanese system, the prisoners don't know the date of their execution. Instead, they are told the day of. That means they have to wake up every day, knowing that it might be their last. That's some Dread Pirate Roberts shit right there.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on February 16, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
My understanding is that, in the Japanese system, the prisoners don't know the date of their execution. Instead, they are told the day of. That means they have to wake up every day, knowing that it might be their last. That's some Dread Pirate Roberts shit right there.

The argument for that system is that it is kinder to the prisoners.  They don't have to count down the days remaining in their life, since they don't know the days remaining, and they become inured to the idea that death could come any given day.  Maybe it is a Japanese thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I don't know--it kind of seems like the system Jesus has imposed on all of us.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 16, 2015, 11:32:50 AM

I don't know--it kind of seems like the system Jesus has imposed on all of us.

You've been kidnapped by some Hispanic named Jesus?

Bayraktar!