Do we still have any members in San Francisco?

Started by Caliga, January 29, 2015, 07:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

So garbon is right about Fisherman's Wharf.  We had breakfast al fresco which was nice until a crazy dude came up to us and started shouting.  Fucking crazy beggars everywhere. :wacko:

Also, riding the cable cars is fun for about 30 seconds then it becomes just like riding the Green Line in Boston (i.e. uncomfortable and drastically overcrowded).

But Chinatown here is really neat.  It's a real community, unlike most US Chinatowns which seem to basically be tourist traps.  Since we're here right after Chinese New Year there are all these little booths all over the place (literally completely blocking off a lot of the shops/restaurants).  I guess because we're whiteys the hawkers leave us alone completely, and among such crowds I am quite literally a giant among men. :)

We'll be going back tonight to a Shanghai-style place, which is a type of Chinese food I've never had.

Also, China hasn't gotten the memo yet that smoking = bad.  I actually saw a number of people (mostly old men) smoking two cigarettes at once. :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2015, 07:13:24 PM

at my $46 room service club sandwich. 
That sandwich better have been one of the best in your life
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2015, 06:14:29 PM
It did have a fried egg and pancetta on it. :hmm:

:blush:
I thought this said placenta the first time I read it!  :yucky:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

No, I think your'e mistaking me for a hippie. :sleep:

Caliga

I think I've gotten most of the tourist shit right around here out of the way.  Had ice cream at Ghirardelli Square and an irish coffee at Buena Vista Cafe earlier this afternoon.  Back to Chinatown in a few minutes.

Caliga

Place was great.  We shared orders of xiao long bao (pork soup dumplings), orange peel chicken, lion head meatballs, and pumpkin mochi for dessert.  Complimentary tea and peanuts.  Only chopsticks were offered so I had to teach Princesca how to eat rice with them.  She picked it up very quickly.   :cool:

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
I think I've gotten most of the tourist shit right around here out of the way.  Had ice cream at Ghirardelli Square and an irish coffee at Buena Vista Cafe earlier this afternoon.  Back to Chinatown in a few minutes.

Ghirardelli is for chocolate not Ice cream you mook.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Go tell them that.  Almost everyone there was eating chocolate sundaes. :sleep:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2015, 09:37:11 PM
Go tell them that.  Almost everyone there was eating chocolate sundaes. :sleep:

Now, now, a Languish Know-it-all knows more than you do. Say "thank you Fatmai".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Had what I thought was a neat experience today (though Princesca didn't seem to think it was any big deal).  We took a bus across the city to Golden Gate Park and the route we were on passed through Chinatown.  Driver was a very kind and helpful (he gave us directions to where we needed to go) older black gentleman.  As we went through Chinatown and passengers would get off most of them would say "thank you" to him and he'd say something in response I couldn't understand at first, but then I realized he was saying "xie xie" to them all. :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2015, 06:30:58 PM
Had what I thought was a neat experience today (though Princesca didn't seem to think it was any big deal).  We took a bus across the city to Golden Gate Park and the route we were on passed through Chinatown.  Driver was a very kind and helpful (he gave us directions to where we needed to go) older black gentleman.  As we went through Chinatown and passengers would get off most of them would say "thank you" to him and he'd say something in response I couldn't understand at first, but then I realized he was saying "xie xie" to them all. :)

Before you said it was a black gentleman, I was picturing:

Caliga