Beep, beep
3 (60%)
Jaron
0 (0%)
I like this option
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Capetan Mihali

Anecdotally, at least, they don't just let you off the hook when you make some "outrageous" claim about your beliefs, they at least make you expound on it and bust your balls. 

I had one friend who checked the "don't like cops" boxes on the questionnaire, and got called up in front of everybody to explain out loud that he wouldn't accept police testimony as legitimate, wouldn't be able to control his prejudice against the police, why he felt that way, etc.  Like garbon, he wasn't lying about it, but if you were, it would have to be a little discouraging.

Another friend got called up in his small South Jersey hometown, and a guy claimed he thought anyone who was arrested was guilty, etc., and the judge started threatening to write it down for him in case he was ever in court and really laid into him.

I guess if you really have the nerve you can make up some extreme belief for yourself, but I don't think it's as easy as it seems.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 26, 2010, 11:06:02 PM
Anecdotally, at least, they don't just let you off the hook when you make some "outrageous" claim about your beliefs, they at least make you expound on it and bust your balls. 

I had one friend who checked the "don't like cops" boxes on the questionnaire, and got called up in front of everybody to explain out loud that he wouldn't accept police testimony as legitimate, wouldn't be able to control his prejudice against the police, why he felt that way, etc.  Like garbon, he wasn't lying about it, but if you were, it would have to be a little discouraging.

I didn't say that at all. I actually said that I would accept police testimony as legitimate as they are just doing their jobs and that I didn't think my prejudice would get in the way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 26, 2010, 11:06:02 PM

Another friend got called up in his small South Jersey hometown, and a guy claimed he thought anyone who was arrested was guilty, etc., and the judge started threatening to write it down for him in case he was ever in court and really laid into him.

I guess if you really have the nerve you can make up some extreme belief for yourself, but I don't think it's as easy as it seems.

Thanks for the tips :contract:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2010, 11:12:35 PM
I didn't say that at all. I actually said that I would accept police testimony as legitimate as they are just doing their jobs and that I didn't think my prejudice would get in the way.

OK, I just meant having genuinely negative feelings about the police in the context of jury selection, not that you both have the same opinions.   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 26, 2010, 11:42:50 PM
OK, I just meant having genuinely negative feelings about the police in the context of jury selection, not that you both have the same opinions.   :)

Oh sorry I should have explained. I just meant that I think it might be easier than one thinks given that there are a lot of things one can say. But you are right that you do need to be prepared to say something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I don't understand why someone would have negative opinion about police.     :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Most are good enough people. But there is always the asshole who tries to take his authority to the next level that ruins the image for everyone else.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2010, 11:48:12 PM
I don't understand why someone would have negative opinion about police.     :huh:

As I said in court: I've never had an experience with a police officer than I would describe as beneficial.

What I didn't say is that most of the time I've encountered police, they seem like posturing assholes.

Caliga

It's actually not that bad, this trial.  It's just that I'm going to have to start doing work at night to make up for missed days, which fucking sucks. :(

One interesting thing that's different from the last trial (and I don't know whether this is a Ky. or Mass. thing, or a criminal vs. civil thing): When I did the criminal trial up in Mass., we were told that as a jury we were NOT allowed to ask questions of any kind--we tried to do so during deliberations and the judge came back and actually kinda yelled at us for it.

In this trial, they are actually encouraging us to ask questions.  Most of the juror questions have been deemed inappropriate for the witness we've heard from so far, but I mean the judge is actually pausing at times and saying "Are there any questions from the jury?" at which time you can write a question down and the bailiff delivers it to the judge who then reviews it with the attorneys.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2010, 06:36:14 AM
It's actually not that bad, this trial.  It's just that I'm going to have to start doing work at night to make up for missed days, which fucking sucks. :(

Is this because you want to, or because of have to ?

Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2010, 11:53:34 PM
What I didn't say is that most of the time I've encountered police, they seem like posturing assholes.
And you didn't like the competition.   :console:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 08:57:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2010, 11:53:34 PM
And you didn't like the competition.   :console:
Can you give him a few pointers on how to tolerate such competition better?

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 08:57:47 AM
And you didn't like the competition.   :console:

Nope, I'm certainly more than just an asshole. I've testimonials. :)

viper37

I don't understand why someone would have negative opinion about police.     :huh:
oh... I don't know...  maybe it's the constant lying, the cops caught faking evidences, those who turn murderers, rapists or drug dealers... just maybe these little things of no consequences.

there's also the matter of cops protecting themselves as if they were gang members, the fact that they are following orders to arrest speeding drivers instead of real criminals, etc, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2010, 11:45:08 AM
oh... I don't know...  maybe it's the constant lying, the cops caught faking evidences, those who turn murderers, rapists or drug dealers... just maybe these little things of no consequences.

there's also the matter of cops protecting themselves as if they were gang members, the fact that they are following orders to arrest speeding drivers instead of real criminals, etc, etc.

I meant people who get their opinions of police from the real world, not from television and movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.