Jaron
0 (0%)
I like this option
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2009, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2009, 06:30:39 PM
That seems odd since you have to be an American citizen to serve on a jury and lots of immigrants have drivers' licenses. My understanding was that's why they use voter registration to pick from for jury duty.  :unsure:

Massachusetts pulls licenses.

As does Michigan and Georgia (at a minimum).

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on September 15, 2009, 07:13:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2009, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2009, 06:30:39 PM
That seems odd since you have to be an American citizen to serve on a jury and lots of immigrants have drivers' licenses. My understanding was that's why they use voter registration to pick from for jury duty.  :unsure:

Massachusetts pulls licenses.

As does Michigan and Georgia (at a minimum).

Here's what California says:
Jurors are summoned randomly from countywide lists maintained by the Department of Motor Vehicles and the local registrar of voters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2009, 07:17:23 PM

Jurors are summoned randomly from countywide lists maintained by the Department of Motor Vehicles and the local registrar of voters.

Must just be a Midwest thing, then. In Iowa and Illinois, they pull them from the voter registration lists.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2009, 10:37:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2009, 07:17:23 PM

Must just be a Midwest thing, then. In Iowa and Illinois, they pull them from the voter registration lists.
A quarter of your population isn't illegal aliens.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2009, 10:37:08 PMMust just be a Midwest thing, then. In Iowa and Illinois, they pull them from the voter registration lists.
I haven't been called for jury duty here yet, but that could be because I live in a county with virtually no crime. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 16, 2009, 07:16:10 PM
There's always the time-tested approach of storming into the jury selection room and demanding to know whether a nigger, a chink, a pollack, or a guinea (or a fag, if you're feeling ironic, G ;) ) set you up for duty. :D
Whats a Guinea? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Grey Fox

If I ever get called my strategy is to be overly optimistic & keep telling everyone that I can that I hope that they pick me. That I am really impartial, I never the watch news or listen to the radio and that everyone is guilty.

Hopefully the defense will kick me out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

It's funny in that people always talk about what they'll do if they get questioned as part of voir dire, etc.

I never even had this opportunity.  When I served on a jury, in the selection process they gave me a one-page questionnaire asking general questions (age, occupation, criminal record, etc.) and then they asked us if we knew either the defendant or any of the withnesses.  They pulled one or two people aside to ask further questions in some other room, but I was never questioned individually and was quickly impaneled.

I wouldn't have pulled some shit like "hey I'm racist so I can't be impartial", but I almost wished they'd questioned people along those lines.  Once the case went to the jury, this crazy Irish bitch immediately started rambling about police brutality and racism, even though there was no evidence that had gone on and the defense didn't even insinuate it (NB: the defendant was a Jamaican and the arresting cop was a white townie).

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 07:09:27 AM
guinea = Italian.
I...see....
Never heard that one, thought they were just wops.

My angle...hmm....I'm an anarchist and so I don't believe in prison hence he is innocent from the very moment I walk in.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on September 16, 2009, 07:24:20 AM
My angle...hmm....I'm an anarchist and so I don't believe in prison hence he is innocent from the very moment I walk in.
I'm not sure if using that obviously BS line would work.

I'm really not sure why everyone is so eager to avoid jury duty.  :huh:  I was proud to have done my civic duty, and at least under US law you can't be fired or anything for missing work while serving, though employers can opt to not pay you.

Admiral Yi

I enjoyed the actual jury duty, but the aimless sitting around while other people are getting their shit together drove me nuts.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 07:31:54 AM
I enjoyed the actual jury duty, but the aimless sitting around while other people are getting their shit together drove me nuts.
That did suck, but ten years later I can now amuse myself with my Blackberry.  :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 07:29:34 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 16, 2009, 07:24:20 AM
I'm not sure if using that obviously BS line would work.

I'm really not sure why everyone is so eager to avoid jury duty.  :huh:  I was proud to have done my civic duty, and at least under US law you can't be fired or anything for missing work while serving, though employers can opt to not pay you.

me personally? I'd rather not sit in hard wooden chairs and be around lawyers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Yeah, but my trial lasted three days and they bought me lunch all three.  :cool: