'Vagina Monologues' Excludes Women Without Vaginas

Started by PRC, January 16, 2015, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/15/womens-college-cancels-vagina-monologues

Women's College Cancels 'Vagina Monologues' Because It Excludes Women Without Vaginas
Good riddance! Yet I just can't get on board with the logic of Mount Holyoke's dismissal...
Elizabeth Nolan Brown|Jan. 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Since the 1990s, students from Mount Holyoke College, an all-women's school in Massachusetts, have staged an annual production of The Vagina Monologues. Not this year. The college is retiring the ritual over concerns that the play—penned by Eve Ensler in 1996 as a way to "celebrate the vagina" and women's sexuality—is not inclusive enough.

In a school-wide email from Mount Holyoke's student-theater board, relayed by Campus Reform, student Erin Murphy explained that "at its core, the show offers an extremely narrow perspective on what it means to be a woman ... Gender is a wide and varied experience, one that cannot simply be reduced to biological or anatomical distinctions, and many of us who have participated in the show have grown increasingly uncomfortable presenting material that is inherently reductionist and exclusive."

Good riddance!, I say; though I admire how women's groups have used The Vagina Monologues to raise funding for anti-violence programs, the play itself has always been a little too schmaltzy for my liking, its tone a little too outdated. That it's become (and remained) a millennial student staple has always surprised me. I wouldn't be sad to see more colleges ditching the show.

But I just can't get on board with the logic of Mount Holyoke's dismissal, similar strains of which have been seen elsewhere recently. Last January, for instance, a fundraiser for a Texas abortion-advocacy group came under fire because of its title, "A Night of a Thousand Vaginas," which some argued was hurtful to trans individuals.

In both cases here, the argument is premised on the idea that a) not all women have vaginas, and b) some men do have vaginas, because some trans individuals identify and live as a different gender than they were born without getting genital reconstructive surgery. Ergo, a trans women is a woman, full stop, but she may have a penis. A trans man is a man, full stop, but he may have a vagina. Fine. I get that. I'm cool with that. And, regardless, it doesn't matter if I'm cool with it, because how other people define their genders/bodies/sexualities is none of my concern. If you are a woman without a vagina, neat; there is totally room for all of our experiences in this great big, crazy world. 

Yet I am a woman with a vagina, and this becomes an area of my concern when people start saying that I shouldn't reference or acknowlege that—that it's in fact bad and intolerant so 20th century to even speak about it. The fact that some trans women don't have vaginas doesn't negate the fact that the vast majority of women do. And now, in the name of feminism, "female-validating talk about vaginas is now forbidden," as one anonymous writer on a Mount Holyoke messageboard put it. "That's so misogynistic under the guise of 'progress.'"

But "we can't present a show that is blatantly transphobic," countered another student, displaying the kind of rhetoric that is troubling in all this. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to stage a women's show that includes trans perspectives (on genitals or whatever else), but that doesn't make a show without those perspectives transphobic. It just makes it a show without those perspectives, in this case one written almost 20 years ago. And while it might be hard for today's students to imagine, in those days discouraging people from talking openly about female sexuality or suggesting that gender was anything but a social construct is what would earn you the approbation of feminists.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quotesome men do have vaginas

Commonly Canadians and Euros.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PRC

Maybe this ties back to some of the discussion about Charlie Hebdo, but Colleges and Universities today do seem to have the idea that not offending someone is more important than any freedom of expression.

garbon

This reminds me of when RuPaul was labeled transphobic. Biting the hands of would-be allies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Oh genderless family member who self identifies as female.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 12:11:43 PM
This reminds me of when RuPaul was labeled transphobic. Biting the hands of would-be allies.

Yep, got a kick out of that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: PRC on January 16, 2015, 11:56:46 AM
Maybe this ties back to some of the discussion about Charlie Hebdo, but Colleges and Universities today do seem to have the idea that not offending someone is more important than any freedom of expression.

Yeah I read an interesting article about it recently (was it posted here on Languish? I don't recall). It seems that colleges and universities have gone from the most free-thinking to the most closed minded in the course of a generation. It is no longer about a market place of ideas but about banning the ideas you disagree with.

Legbiter

Vag Monologues also exclude Shetland ponies, Barney, men and people with stage fright.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

I think this thread is a perfect example where the society gets when it follows the attitudes like the ones expressed in the childhood/bullying thread. It leads to a society of pussies that ban everything for the fear of causing distress.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2015, 01:38:13 PM
I think this thread is a perfect example where the society gets when it follows the attitudes like the ones expressed in the childhood/bullying thread. It leads to a society of pussies that ban everything for the fear of causing distress.

Well you do have a tendency to espouse stupid thoughts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?