News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jeremy Thorpe RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 04, 2014, 03:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Was he actively homophobic or advocating such policies, though?

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 04:14:32 AM
I would say that in this case the fact that the law was unjust and wrong trumps the fact that he used his privilege to get away with it.

Similarly, I would not blame a wealthy Jew for using his privilege to get away from Holocaust.

I think that analogy fails because (at least after 1967) Thorpe wasn't using his privilege to conceal his behavior from the legal authorities in order to avoid imprisonment, but rather to conceal his behavior from the public in order to further his political career.

Also, what he "got away with" wasn't just having homosexual relations, but incitement to murder. 

Sheilbh

Yep. And I still don't actually think there's anything homophobic on the article.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2015, 06:02:11 AM
I would say that in this case the fact that the law was unjust and wrong trumps the fact that he used his privilege to get away with it.

Similarly, I would not blame a wealthy Jew for using his privilege to get away from Holocaust.

I think that analogy fails because (at least after 1967) Thorpe wasn't using his privilege to conceal his behavior from the legal authorities in order to avoid imprisonment, but rather to conceal his behavior from the public in order to further his political career.

Also, what he "got away with" wasn't just having homosexual relations, but incitement to murder.

That is what I love about Languish. I make some caveat early in a discussion (I expressly said that what I am saying does not apply to attempted murder or blackmail) and later, after several exchanges with one person, another person comes in and calls me on not repeating that caveat in every post that followed.  :lol:

Sheilbh

And anyway the point isn't moral. Just here's the extraordinary story of our almost deputy PM, a lot of which is new.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 06:37:05 AM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2015, 06:02:11 AM

That is what I love about Languish. I make some caveat early in a discussion (I expressly said that what I am saying does not apply to attempted murder or blackmail) and later, after several exchanges with one person, another person comes in and calls me on not repeating that caveat in every post that followed.  :lol:

Fair enough, but I wasn't intending to call you out on the point so much as just re-iterating it.