Shellshock! Cadbury comes clean on Creme Egg chocolate change

Started by jimmy olsen, January 12, 2015, 08:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2015, 09:15:27 PM
Have Kraft ever made a decent product, I ask because all the ones over here I've tasted have been manufactured to, well again shit.

Their Parmesan cheese is ok. And Stovetop stuffing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2015, 10:09:36 PM
Your claim is limited only to those cases when the acquiring company was stupider than the acquired company?

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2015, 09:19:09 PM
It's called Kraft Dinner here, I always found that fascinating.

Well that looks like you've just dropped the Mac & Cheese bit. If you look on that box, it does list dinner under that.

Of course, the only edible one is the "Deluxe" version. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

On a different note - these eggs have always been nasty, so why care?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Yanks have even worse taste in chocolate than Limeys. Spews at 11.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Found this follow-up bit of info that is of major importance in The Economist:

Quote"WHIPPED cream isn't whipped cream at all if it hasn't been whipped with whips, just like poached eggs isn't poached eggs unless it's been stolen in the dead of the night," cautions Willy Wonka in Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Sweet-toothed, and currently mighty aggrieved, Britons appreciate the nicety: a Cadbury's Creme Egg, a beloved national treat, isn't a Cadbury's Creme Egg unless it has been made with Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate.

A revelation that the egg's American owner, Mondelez International, is meddling with the recipe perfected by Cadbury, a British confectioner, has therefore provoked outrage. The shell that enrobes the egg's sticky albumen-and-yolk fondant centre is henceforth to be made using "standard, traditional Cadbury milk chocolate" instead of Dairy Milk.

Sweet-toothed Americans will notice no change. Their eggs are constructed from local Hershey's chocolate. But when it comes to the British market, the egg-makers are taking a risk.

Britons' devotion to their native chocolate is passionate. They boast—with good reason—of its lusciousness compared with dull foreign confections. It must contain at least 20% cocoa solids; America demands a measly 10%. Tastes form early and chocoholics do not relish innovation in favoured treats. It's no yolk.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon