News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Supreme Court Takes on Gay Marriage Case

Started by Jacob, January 16, 2015, 06:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How will it go?

Gay marriage for all who want it, across the United States of America.
14 (63.6%)
It's a state thing, so what if that makes a mess?
4 (18.2%)
Not only is there no right to gay marriage, and in fact straight people's marriage needs to be defended. No gay marriage for anyone in the US.
3 (13.6%)
Some other outcome (please explain)...
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 17, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2015, 06:36:45 PM
GOP lamenting is all. It will cost the election in 2016.

Will cost who the election?

Exactly.  They don't cost the election, they just decide to hold it and spend whatever is necessary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Anyway, I don't think the howls will be as loud as they could be. I mean, who on the American right wants to be more like Russia?  :P

GOP, duh.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 02:51:19 PM

Anyway, I don't think the howls will be as loud as they could be. I mean, who on the American right wants to be more like Russia?  :P

I thought many Republicans had a boner for Putin.

What the fuck has Seedy talking about his health care got to do with putin?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on January 17, 2015, 03:04:40 PM
GOP, duh.

How will it cost them the election, do you think? Disgruntled base staying home? Explosive rhetoric turning off independent voters? Something else?

My guess is it would be largely seen as a fait accompli and the debate would center over other issues. The base staying home is a possibility, but they have a laundry list of other causes that are important to them, so why shoot themselves in the foot?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

That is a very rational analysis but GOP candidates have not always been rational. Especially when they get into the echo chamber of primaries. ;)

Eddie Teach

They were already going to act like idiots in the primary though. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 17, 2015, 03:17:31 PM
They were already going to act like idiots in the primary though. :contract:

Yeah but I guess if the SCOTUS ruling comes at the time of primaries, they may want to outdo each other by homo-hate etc. so this may make it worse.

Neil

Hopefully they rule that Martinus must be renditioned to Saudi Arabia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2015, 07:08:48 PM
Hopefully they rule that Martinus must be renditioned to Saudi Arabia.

Or deepest Alabama w/o Internet access.

ROLL TIDE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 02:51:19 PM

I thought many Republicans had a boner for Putin.

If you are arm wrestle a Republican you get his loyalty.  Dana Rohrabacher likes him.  But for the most part he's too foreign.  Of course, if it came between picking Putin or Obama they'd pick Putin.  I believe the French had a similar slogan about Blum and Hitler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017