'Vagina Monologues' Excludes Women Without Vaginas

Started by PRC, January 16, 2015, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2015, 01:25:08 AM
Because, as a man who dresses up like a woman he's making a mockery of them. Maybe, I'm just spitballing here.
He's a cross dresser, not a trans-woman, and he insists on using terminology "tranny" that he knows is offensive to them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 12:11:43 PM
This reminds me of when RuPaul was labeled transphobic. Biting the hands of would-be allies.
Yep :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2015, 02:32:49 AM
He's a cross dresser, not a trans-woman, and he insists on using terminology "tranny" that he knows is offensive to them.

According to the descriptions given in To Wong Foo, he's a drag queen.  :smarty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Tim is an example of what is wrong with the world - misinformed outsiders getting offended on behalf of a member of a group they are ignorant of.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2015, 03:38:14 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2015, 02:32:49 AM

According to the descriptions given in To Wong Foo, he's a drag queen.  :smarty:

That just means he's a crossdresser who's won some contests.

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 04:06:19 AM
Tim is an example of what is wrong with the world - misinformed outsiders getting offended on behalf of a member of a group they are ignorant of.
My best friend turned out to be a transwoman and started hormone therapy 18 months ago. That's her exact sentiment with regards to RuPaul.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2015, 04:29:17 AM

They described a cross-dresser as a straight man who got off on wearing women's clothing and a drag queen as a gay man who wore women's clothing to attract other men.

Martinus

Not all trans people are offended by the word "tranny". Many "own" it and use it themselves. It is similar to "queer" in that regard.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2015, 04:39:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2015, 04:29:17 AM

They described a cross-dresser as a straight man who got off on wearing women's clothing and a drag queen as a gay man who wore women's clothing to attract other men.

Oh dear.

A cross-dresser (or a trans-vestite) is a person who wears clothes normally associated with the opposite gender role (although, admittedly, it is more often used for men, as I suppose women dressing in a man-like fashion is more acceptable socially) to achieve sexual gratification. I don't think the person's sexual orientation has any role to play, like with most fetishes.

A drag queen is a male performer / entertainer who impersonates women (with varying degrees of accuracy, some of them intentional and some uninintentional). Again, his sexuality does not play a great role but most (not all) drag queens seem to be gay. A drag king is the opposite, i.e. a female performer impersonating a man.

Some drag queens are actually transsexual but I believe it is a minority. Likewise, some drag queens may be cross-dressers. There is no indication that Ru Paul is.

I don't think any gay men actually wear women's clothing to attract other men, but if they do, that certainly does not make them drag queens.

Martinus

Or even slightly more complicated:

Tim, if you intend to accuse someone of transphobia, it would be useful if you yourself weren't being homophobic/transphobic about it.

Eddie Teach

Sorry, Marty, I think Patrick Swayze has more credibility in this.  :P

dps

Quote from: PRC on January 16, 2015, 11:56:46 AM
Maybe this ties back to some of the discussion about Charlie Hebdo, but Colleges and Universities today do seem to have the idea that not offending someone is more important than any freedom of expression.

There are some differences, though.  Charlie Hebdo knew that they were publishing cartoons that were offensive to many Muslims--in fact, to a certain extent, that was the intent.  The Vagina Monologues, though, I'm pretty sure, weren't intended to be offensive to women.  This is just about people looking for something to get offended over. 

Neil

How can their existence challenge the gender binary?  Doesn't it reinforce it, by demonstrating that just wishing and imagining that you were some other gender doesn't solve your problems.  And third and fourth genders?  Good god.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.