And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 02:27:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 02:23:46 PM
So in a thread about Islamophobia in Europe, we have a couple of Americans posting generalised blanket statements about other ethnicities.   :hmm:

Is there nationality relevant?  Perhaps you'd like to generalize their behavior?  :)

Ah!

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I work with a Russian 30something girl, and she's pretty smoking and a really nice person.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 02:27:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 02:23:46 PM
So in a thread about Islamophobia in Europe, we have a couple of Americans posting generalised blanket statements about other ethnicities.   :hmm:

Is there nationality relevant?  Perhaps you'd like to generalize their behavior?  :)

They're discussing what apparently goes on in America.

No that's why I said a couple ie two; I'm pretty sure most Americans don't hold such proto-racist views. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2015, 02:36:52 PM
I work with a Russian 30something girl, and she's pretty smoking and a really nice person.

Yeah, those are the ones you really have to look out for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 02:41:13 PM
No that's why I said a couple ie two; I'm pretty sure most Americans don't hold such proto-racist views.

My guess is the majority of Americans, and people around the world, subscribe to generalizations, both positive and negative.

If you're going to call the mere act of generalization proto-racist, it renders the term meaningless.  For example it's conventional wisdom on Languish and at large that English people are uncomfortable around strangers.  It's either true or it's false.  If it's true, your definition of racism puts you in conflict with reality.

I suggest you consider a different definition of racist/bigot: a person who holds on to existing generalizations and refuses to consider evidence that would alter that generalization.  I think Jews are generally smart and unathletic.  If I encounter more and more athletic Jews, but still hold on to my old stereotype, then that belief is bigoted.

CountDeMoney

Asian chicks are submissive.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 02:59:54 PM

My guess is the majority of Americans, and people around the world, subscribe to generalizations, both positive and negative.

If you're going to call the mere act of generalization proto-racist, it renders the term meaningless. For example it's conventional wisdom on Languish and at large that English people are uncomfortable around strangers.  It's either true or it's false.  If it's true, your definition of racism puts you in conflict with reality.

Projecting much are you, hint the rest of the world may not be like you. Where on earth do you get that from?  I think a good test would be ask non-UK posters who've met UK Languishite, if that stereotype hold with them. 

For what it's worth my own view is that the British Languishites I've met are a pretty gregarious bunch of people, as are the American and Canadian one's I've met.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
Projecting much are you, hint the rest of the world may not be like you. Where on earth do you get that from?  I think a good test would be ask non-UK posters who've met UK Languishite, if that stereotype hold with them. 

For what it's worth my own view is that the British Languishites I've met are a pretty gregarious bunch of people, as are the American and Canadian one's I've met.

Can I assume based on this post that you have conceded that generalizations do not equate to racism, and that you'd now like to move on to discussing which generalizations are accurate?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 03:11:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 03:06:04 PM

Can I assume based on this post that you have conceded that generalizations do not equate to racism, and that you'd now like to move on to discussing which generalizations are accurate?

Nope, they're one of the first steps towards them, hence my use of proto. But do carry on characterising what I said.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 03:13:35 PM
But do carry on characterising what I said.

I never started.  I asked a clarifying question about the meaning of your change of subject.

Martinus

Can we all agree that both Muslims and Russians are scum?  :cool:

Martinus

In fact, pretty much all people are scum, only in different ways. That's diversity.

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:08:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:02:37 PM
I don't undestand.

Does the world think all Muslims are with the terrorists?  I think not, so I think the cartoonist is full of shit.

Does the whole world think all Muslims are with the terrorists? No.

Is there a sizable number of people in the West who think that a big part of the problem is that the average Muslim approves of terrorism? Sure.
I think all Muslims are terrorists, but I never get asked.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Well, maybe not all are exactly terrorists, but they are all either terrorists, terrorists in the making, or terrorist factories.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"