Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 11:43:17 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 08, 2015, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 11:27:38 AM
95% of Languishites see Martinus anti-Catholicism as more annoying than Islamic fundamentalism.

Margin of error: +/- 5%

While 90% of Languishites either believe that religion deserves to be disrespected.  But only if they can replace the word deserve with something else that makes more sense.

Can't we just link vid clips to Monty Python skits instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j--0gzT2rk

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2015, 01:50:49 AM
At the same time, more than half of Germans consider themselves to be tolerant.

Tolerance has its limits.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 02:15:21 PM

Indeed, intolerance cannot be tolerated. I don't think being afraid or feeling threatened by muslims after attacks such as this is in any way irrational or prejudiced.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2015, 11:32:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 02:26:02 PM
So, my Amazon purchase order now features an English version of Quran (hardcover), two copies of Dieux du Stade 2015 naked rugby player calendar and an iPhone wallet cover. Will I make it to the FBI watch list?  :huh:

No but you are going to confuse the hell out of the Amazon recommendation bot.

Yeah, random muslims buying the Quran will get "other people bought this with this" a gay calendar.

Well played Martinus, well played.

I haven't thought about it!  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 02:17:22 PM

Indeed, intolerance cannot be tolerated. I don't think being afraid or feeling threatened by muslims after attacks such as this is in any way irrational or prejudiced.

Oh, I tolerate you alright despite you calls for genocide, demanding I kill myself,, and pretentious stupidity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 02:22:11 PM

Oh, I tolerate you alright despite you calls for genocide, demanding I kill myself,, and pretentious stupidity.

Only one comma is required.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I put in extra punctuation so that you can salt and pepper my sentences as you choose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Just wanna make you comma. I'm just being honest.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

I don't think I called for genocide. I am angry with Islam. I hate it as a set of ideas. I find it harmful, ridiculous and dumb. And I want to tell that to every Muslim I meet (admittedly I have not personally met any so I may be more civil in person). But I do recognise that we have values and principles, and I don't want to compromise them for a bunch of camel fucking moon worshippers.

I am also scared of Islam and of clerics that say I should be stoned to death.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 03:54:16 PM

I don't think I called for genocide. I am angry with Islam. I hate it as a set of ideas. I find it harmful, ridiculous and dumb. And I want to tell that to every Muslim I meet (admittedly I have not personally met any so I may be more civil in person). But I do recognise that we have values and principles, and I don't want to compromise them for a bunch of camel fucking moon worshippers.

That may well inform your personal view.

I know, not tons, but quite a number of muslims.  Heck there's a surprisingly large number of lebanese muslim lawyers in this town.  And none of them have ever threatened to stone anyone to death.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Possibly. But then you would not be at risk under sharia so YMMV. ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 04:05:04 PM
Possibly. But then you would not be at risk under sharia so YMMV. ;)

No, the ones I know are quite westernized, and most were born in this country.

And it's not as if there's any shortage of gay lawyers in this country either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

You have called for genocide against Muslims in the past.  Along with Catholics, Russians, Turks, Gypsies and anyone who makes you mad at any particular moment.  I am not afraid of Islam or Muslims.  There is question here that nobody has asked.  Why does this keep happening in Europe and not in Canada or the US?  No cartoonists have been killed by Muslims in the US.  I don't think this has happened in Canada either.  Why?

Malthus

The thing you should not lose sight of is that Muslims, like any peoples, are actually quite variable - a lot depends on such things as class, education, and personal history.

For example, I know a lot of Muslims personally - mostly Iranians. Some of the religious nutters actually running Iran are the most frightening around - they like nothing more than killing gays, and I doubt they like uppity Jews much better.  ;)  However, the ones who came to Canada tend to be the higher-class, more educated ones (often, fleeing Iran for exactly that reason), and that is why I know them - they are likely to be professionals - lawyers and (particularly) doctors. They usually have no problems with gays and uppity Jews, at least, no more than any other mixed group of professionals.

The one family I know best (the daughter is married to my best male friend) is Sufi, and as far as I can tell, it's a pretty liberal form of religion. I never had any problem with the dad, who was pretty religious (he's dead now, I was at his funeral). The daughter isn't religious at all, thinks religion is a crock. 

To hear them tell it, the religious nutters who took over the Iranian revolution derived their power from manipulating the uneducated masses. It is a symptom of poverty and backwardness in a time of political upheaveal - think of what would happen to gays in America, if there was a revolution and right-wing "Tea Party" fundies seized power. To these Iranians, the "authentic Persia" is represented by Persia's high culture and history - not the bozos running the place now.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius