Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 11:38:47 AM

This is hardly controversial stuff ...

They skipped the graven images one and split the old coveting the wife and ass into two commandments. Jewish law does not apply to Christians. In any case my position stands until you somehow show that eating shrimp or wearing mixed fabrics or working on a sunday are universally or to a large extent considered sin by christians.

No they don't. Show me an actual source that says Roman Catholics do not have the commandment against graven images.

This particular bit of nonsense is, apparently, stated by anti-Catholic religious loonies, but has no basis in reality.

Here's a Catholic refutation. Are you claiming that you know Catholic doctrine better than Catholics?

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/apologetics/catholic-doctrines-and-practices/graven-images-altering-the-commandments/

QuoteAccording to this booklet, one "mark of the beast" is the alteration of God's Commandments. The booklet claims that the Catholic Church dropped the "Second Commandment" which forbids "graven images", i.e. statues. Allegedly the Catholic Church condones statue worship.

The Catholic Church has not altered the Ten Commandments of God. The Church has not dropped the "Second Commandment" as the booklet alleges. The Catholic numbering scheme may differ with the Protestant numbering scheme, but this is due to a difference in tradition and not an alteration of God's Commandments. Unfortunately the Bible is not clear on how to divide or number the Ten Commandments.

You are simply wrong on the facts. You have mistakenly accepted an anti-Catholic canard invented by fundies as the truth.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 11:32:04 AM
The notion that Christianity holus-bolus discarded the OT as a source of religious commandments (or ' At best they argue that the jewish law is helpful in understanding the nature of god') is simply unhistorical and wrong.

:yes:

There was a Christian sect which believed the Jewish writings should not form part of acceptable Christian teaching but that view did not win out.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2015, 01:25:33 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 07, 2015, 01:20:40 PM(mortars, rockets, catapults, etc)

:unsure: Have you actually come under fire from a catapult once?

It was a poor joke about the quality of Iraqi equipment and training.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 01:36:52 PM

They skipped the graven images one and split the old coveting the wife and ass into two commandments. Jewish law does not apply to Christians. In any case my position stands until you somehow show that eating shrimp or wearing mixed fabrics or working on a sunday are universally or to a large extent considered sin by christians.

No they don't. Show me an actual source that says Roman Catholics do not have the commandment against graven images.

This particular bit of nonsense is, apparently, stated by anti-Catholic religious loonies, but has no basis in reality.

Here's a Catholic refutation. Are you claiming that you know Catholic doctrine better than Catholics?

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/apologetics/catholic-doctrines-and-practices/graven-images-altering-the-commandments/

QuoteAccording to this booklet, one "mark of the beast" is the alteration of God's Commandments. The booklet claims that the Catholic Church dropped the "Second Commandment" which forbids "graven images", i.e. statues. Allegedly the Catholic Church condones statue worship.

The Catholic Church has not altered the Ten Commandments of God. The Church has not dropped the "Second Commandment" as the booklet alleges. The Catholic numbering scheme may differ with the Protestant numbering scheme, but this is due to a difference in tradition and not an alteration of God's Commandments. Unfortunately the Bible is not clear on how to divide or number the Ten Commandments.

You are simply wrong on the facts. You have mistakenly accepted an anti-Catholic canard invented by fundies as the truth.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/command.htm
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 01:56:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 01:36:52 PM

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/command.htm

So, you *are* still claiming that Catholics dropped the graven image commandment? Even after it was clearly explained that this was simply a numbering issue, and it falls within the first bit of the Catchetism - which is a 'short form' for ease of rememberance?

Incredible.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:08:33 PM
Incredible.

I thought he was posting it to show that he was now agreeing with you  :(

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 02:11:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:08:33 PM
Incredible.

I thought he was posting it to show that he was now agreeing with you  :(

Well, if that is the case, colour me wrong.  :Embarrass:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:14:05 PM

:lol:

Viking never admits he is wrong. CC was making a joke.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 02:15:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:14:05 PM

:lol:

Viking never admits he is wrong. CC was making a joke.

I can't win!  :weep:

;)

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

Yes. Religions are ideas and should be treated as such. What you think about government spending or gun rights or the chinese plan for the nicaragua canal is subject to criticism and you are subject to mockery and ridicule for thinking the world is flat or thinking that vaccines cause autism.

Just to be sure, are you saying that religions and ideas should be treated the same?  For all intents and purposes Atheism is a secular religion?

The point is that all ideas - whether it is a religion, atheism or, say, vegetarianism, should be treated the same and be given the same kind of protection. That does not mean all of them are religions.  :huh:

Martinus

So, my Amazon purchase order now features an English version of Quran (hardcover), two copies of Dieux du Stade 2015 naked rugby player calendar and an iPhone wallet cover. Will I make it to the FBI watch list?  :huh:

The Brain

Honey, you're not on any list.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.