And we're back!

Main Menu

Coca Cola unplugs corporate HQ voicemail

Started by CountDeMoney, December 24, 2014, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
Reducing or eliminating the available means of communication in the workplace is not a good idea.
But I don't think anyone else uses voicemail for communication as opposed to, say, leaving a message saying 'sorry I missed you, call me back' :mellow:
or leaving you a message telling you they're going to email you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 24, 2014, 03:54:44 PM
I think Languish should go to an all-voicemail basis.

I disagree;  we should print out all posts, wrap them around bricks, and bludgeon the living fuck out of each other.  I get to go first.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 03:09:44 PM
To be honest I don't remember the last time anyone has ever left me voice mail message at work or I left a message on anyone's voice mail. It is much more efficient to send an e-mail.

In fact, people should be discouraged from using phone as it is much more disruptive.
:yes: Calling someone forces them to interrupt what they're doing, right there and then.

Exactly. Sure there are cases when a phone call is more efficient (although even then, in most cases you could just send an e-mail asking for a call back). But in 9 cases out of 10, someone calling you could more efficiently communicate with you via e-mjail and they are simply prioritising their laziness over your time.

sbr

If I get a voicemail that is more than 5 seconds long I delete it and hang up and text or email asking them to get back to me.

Admiral Yi

Phone is superior to email when there are follow up questions or back and forth involved.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
Reducing or eliminating the available means of communication in the workplace is not a good idea.
But I don't think anyone else uses voicemail for communication as opposed to, say, leaving a message saying 'sorry I missed you, call me back' :mellow:

Which is redundant in the day and age of caller ID. So the only people who need to use voicemail for this purpose are assholes who hide their caller ID.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 03:59:38 PM
Phone is superior to email when there are follow up questions or back and forth involved.
True, but instant messaging is superiorer in that case.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 03:59:38 PM

Yeah but I already addressed it in my post - the common courtesy demands that you send someone an e-mail asking when they are free to talk and explaining what you would like to talk about so they are prepared.

This thread is not about whether phones should be abolished but whether voicemail is needed or useful - and all comments are made in that context. Once again you demonstrate your inability or unwillingness to interpret posts in the context they are made. I don't know whether this is some intellectual failing or another reason on your part.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 04:01:00 PM
Which is redundant in the day and age of caller ID. So the only people who need to use voicemail for this purpose are assholes who hide their caller ID.
And office messengers.

I generally used phone a lot but that was because my colleagues and higher-ups did.

The CdM method of leaving voicemails of questions seems an odd combination of the least efficient and most irksome for the other person :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
Yeah but I already addressed it in my post - the common courtesy demands that you send someone an e-mail asking when they are free to talk and explaining what you would like to talk about so they are prepared.

I don't know anyone else who thinks etiquette requires the setting of phone dates. :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 04:04:01 PM
The CdM method of leaving voicemails of questions seems an odd combination of the least efficient and most irksome for the other person :mellow:

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:55:12 PM
If I can address someone's issue or answer their questions in the quickest way possible, I will do so--even if that means by leaving a voice mail.

Ideologue

S: it's just like a text that you can barely comprehend, and that's why it's so much more efficient.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 04:06:42 PM

I don't know anyone else who thinks etiquette requires the setting of phone dates. :lol:

Lawyers do:  every conversation is a potential trap subject to discovery.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 04:04:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 04:01:00 PM
And office messengers.

I generally used phone a lot but that was because my colleagues and higher-ups did.

Yeah. I think phone are useful if you get a question/request by e-mail from someone else and then the answer requires a chat as opposed to a simple e-mail - then you call the person back and discuss. But I find someone calling me out of blue to ask a simple question (where I am usually in the middle of something, cannot answer the question on the spot etc.) very irksome and annoying. As I said already, what aggravates this is that usually the person calling is simply too lazy to write a short e-mail with the request and they are effectively disrupting my work because of that laziness.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 04:06:42 PM

At my work, anything other than a quick call is usually pre-planned by e-mail.