Coca Cola unplugs corporate HQ voicemail

Started by CountDeMoney, December 24, 2014, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

I think a big part of the disagreement here is that most of you seem to be thinking in terms of internal communications, while Seedy and I are thinking in terms of communications with customers.  News flash to Ide--it's not a dumbass idea to hire someone to answer the phone;  customers want to be able to make a call and get to talk to a real, live person instead of a machine, and they sure as hell don't want to send e-mails.

How a company handles internal correspondence is a different story.  In general, nobody outside of the company gives a rat's ass how that's done.

CountDeMoney

Meh, I think it has a lot to do with the environment as well; DGoofball gives me shit about responding to emails with vociemail, and Martinus with his uncouth fucks, but a whole lot of uncouth fucking nurse managers or bucket truck linemen arent always in front of their computers for long after their first cup of coffee.

sbr

How many nurse managers and bucket truck linemen work for Coca-Cola?

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 25, 2014, 11:29:56 AM
Meh, I think it has a lot to do with the environment as well; DGoofball gives me shit about responding to emails with vociemail, and Martinus with his uncouth fucks, but a whole lot of uncouth fucking nurse managers or bucket truck linemen arent always in front of their computers for long after their first cup of coffee.

But they are in front of their office landline phone checking their voicemail?

Nobody uses fucking voicemail, certainly not on office (non-cellular) phones. It is a dead technology. I am sure somewhere someone can find some reason why it would be useful, but for most of the world, that is simply not an effective means of leaving someone a message when you cannot talk to them directly at that particular moment.

This really isn't even an interesting topic. It is blindingly obvious to all of us. The only thing slightly amusing about it is to watch fossils try to pretend like their angst has some bearing in something other than simple bitchiness.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
customers want to be able to make a call and get to talk to a real, live person instead of a machine, and they sure as hell don't want to send e-mails.

How a company handles internal correspondence is a different story.  In general, nobody outside of the company gives a rat's ass how that's done.

I much prefer emailing to phoning a company. Hate it when companies don't give you that option
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 25, 2014, 12:29:57 PM
This really isn't even an interesting topic. It is blindingly obvious to all of us. The only thing slightly amusing about it is to watch fossils try to pretend like their angst has some bearing in something other than simple bitchiness.

Go fuck yourself sideways.  But since you only need Caller ID, 212-FUCK-YOU

Iormlund

I think a big part of the disagreement here is that most of you seem to be thinking in terms of internal communications, while Seedy and I are thinking in terms of communications with customers.  News flash to Ide--it's not a dumbass idea to hire someone to answer the phone;  customers want to be able to make a call and get to talk to a real, live person instead of a machine, and they sure as hell don't want to send e-mails.

Heh. We must be in very different lines of business. Discussing anything with the customer without leaving a paper trail is a cardinal sin.

Ideologue

Customers?  OK, maybe that's worth the $5k a year the Indian contractor gets.

I don't think that's what Money's talking about anyway.  Maybe I was wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

People have an opportunity to keep their voicemail if they think it helps connect with customers. 6% of employees are opting to do so.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on December 25, 2014, 03:12:56 PM

People have an opportunity to keep their voicemail if they think it helps connect with customers. 6% of employees are opting to do so.

Well, I wasn't arguing in favor of voicemail--I was arguing that somebody should actually answer the phone when it rings.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2014, 07:29:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 25, 2014, 03:12:56 PM

Well, I wasn't arguing in favor of voicemail--I was arguing that somebody should actually answer the phone when it rings.

What a concept, eh.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".