Coca Cola unplugs corporate HQ voicemail

Started by CountDeMoney, December 24, 2014, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 11:48:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2014, 11:13:41 AM
I've never used my voice mail. Always annoys me when people whine at me for not getting a message they supposidely left on it.  Good move
Same. It's just pointless.

Et tu, Shiv?  I expected it from Sir Sourpuss-upon-Avon, but not you.  Disappointing. 

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2014, 11:38:44 AM
CdM would have attributed the replacement of the Pony Express by the telegraph to anti social assburgers too.
Increasingly insulated and isolated workplaces filled by Millennial ass twats with more fucking social anxiety disorders than you can shake a stick at lose the ability to discern in email what one can otherwise interpret in a telephone conversation, and even voice mail.  But by all means, keep eliminating the avenues to interact with other human beings effectively.  That will do wonders for everybody involved. 

Let's all waste time writing unnecessary emails back and forth, misinterpreting intentions with your "A is A" lack of nuance, when it can all be resolved by a conversation--even a one-way conversation like voice mail.

I think miscommunication is less likely in an email than a voicemail, but that aside, the trend in workpaces isn't insulation and isolation: the cube is increasingly being retired to go to open workspaces, and even where it is being retained the walls are being lowered so that you can see people from all angles when standing. Office spaces are being designed in ways to facilitate discussions between different levels of the organization and different teams in common spaces.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
Increasingly insulated and isolated workplaces filled by Millennial ass twats with more fucking social anxiety disorders than you can shake a stick at lose the ability to discern in email what one can otherwise interpret in a telephone conversation, and even voice mail.  But by all means, keep eliminating the avenues to interact with other human beings effectively.  That will do wonders for everybody involved. 

Let's all waste time writing unnecessary emails back and forth, misinterpreting intentions with your "A is A" lack of nuance, when it can all be resolved by a conversation--even a one-way conversation like voice mail.
The whole point of a mobile phone is that you are mobile and not tied to your desk. That allows you to actually meet your co-workers to talk and still be available for others via the phone.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2014, 12:04:38 PM
I think miscommunication is less likely in an email than a voicemail,

You're making the dangerous assumption that individuals possess the ability to convey their message cogently and lucidly in writing.  That is becoming a dying art form with the modern workforce, and that is why you are wrong.

Quotebut that aside, the trend in workpaces isn't insulation and isolation: the cube is increasingly being retired to go to open workspaces, and even where it is being retained the walls are being lowered so that you can see people from all angles when standing. Office spaces are being designed in ways to facilitate discussions between different levels of the organization and different teams in common spaces.

That would depend on the industry and the particular workplace, now wouldn't it?

Ed Anger

I'll have my secretary take the message. I'm busy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Seedy ranting about other people with social anxiety disorders is OSSUM.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 24, 2014, 12:37:54 PM
Seedy ranting about other people with social anxiety disorders is OSSUM.

That's because I have none.  A foul disposition is not a disorder.  That's kind of like confusing Tourette's with a bad attitude.

Ed Anger

Keep on fighting the good fight against these Assburgers Seedy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

So what, is it just going to ring and ring now?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 10:50:00 AM
Good riddance.  There are far more efficient ways to get in touch with someone these days.

No shit.  Hope this helps thin out those who can't adapt.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 24, 2014, 01:39:07 PM
So what, is it just going to ring and ring now?

Apparently the conduct and commerce of business between human beings is going to be optional.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2014, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 10:50:00 AM
Good riddance.  There are far more efficient ways to get in touch with someone these days.

No shit.  Hope this helps thin out those who can't adapt.

Enjoy spending 40 minutes texting a conversation that could be over in 40 seconds.

Berkut

You know, not having voice mail doesn't mean that you cannot call someone...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned