Main Menu

Coca Cola unplugs corporate HQ voicemail

Started by CountDeMoney, December 24, 2014, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 02:00:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2014, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 10:50:00 AM
Good riddance.  There are far more efficient ways to get in touch with someone these days.

No shit.  Hope this helps thin out those who can't adapt.

Enjoy spending 40 minutes texting a conversation that could be over in 40 seconds.

+1

Customer service goes in the crapper. So much for just talking to people.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Not that it isn't often vastly easier to talk to somebody (note talking, and not recording an audio message on antiquated technology) a huge advantage of written official communication is that it's written. As in, serves as evidence of what was told and understood.

Ideologue

Also a huge disadvantage.

The wiretaps will level this field.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

To be honest I don't remember the last time anyone has ever left me voice mail message at work or I left a message on anyone's voice mail. It is much more efficient to send an e-mail.

In fact, people should be discouraged from using phone as it is much more disruptive.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 03:09:44 PM
To be honest I don't remember the last time anyone has ever left me voice mail message at work or I left a message on anyone's voice mail. It is much more efficient to send an e-mail.

In fact, people should be discouraged from using phone as it is much more disruptive.
:yes: Calling someone forces them to interrupt what they're doing, right there and then.

CountDeMoney

But see, that's the great thing about voice mail, for all you anti-social fruitcakes:  you don't even have to talk to me, just listen.  I can address each and every question you posed in your email directly, succinctly and efficiently, without spending the time to compose a lengthy email--with the added bonus that you don't even have to call me back!  See how that works?  Your cloistered goofy-ass work environment is nice and secure from having to deal with another human!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 03:25:58 PM
:yes: Calling someone forces them to interrupt what they're doing, right there and then.

Unless you're a 911 operator, you're not required to answer the phone.  But I can see how you Assburgers would feel compelled to press the lever for your treat.   And you people call me old-fashioned:  at least I know where the DND button is on the fucking phone.

Ideologue

You're becoming increasingly unhinged. I say this because I'm on your side.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 24, 2014, 03:33:12 PM

Reducing or eliminating the available means of communication in the workplace is not a good idea.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:29:38 PM
But see, that's the great thing about voice mail, for all you anti-social fruitcakes:  you don't even have to talk to me, just listen.  I can address each and every question you posed in your email directly, succinctly and efficiently, without spending the time to compose a lengthy email--with the added bonus that you don't even have to call me back!  See how that works?  Your cloistered goofy-ass work environment is nice and secure from having to deal with another human!
:huh: You answer e-mails by voice mail?  Seriously?  And you can do that more efficiently than by e-mail?  Sounds like the problem is with your writing skills rather than with the voice communication skills of the more fresh humans.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
Reducing or eliminating the available means of communication in the workplace is not a good idea.
But I don't think anyone else uses voicemail for communication as opposed to, say, leaving a message saying 'sorry I missed you, call me back' :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 24, 2014, 03:33:12 PM

It is a good idea if it forces old stubborn fossils to learn how to communicate more effectively.

Ideologue

I think Languish should go to an all-voicemail basis.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
:huh: You answer e-mails by voice mail?  Seriously?  And you can do that more efficiently than by e-mail?  Sounds like the problem is with your writing skills rather than with the voice communication skills of the more fresh humans.

If I can address someone's issue or answer their questions in the quickest way possible, I will do so--even if that means by leaving a voice mail.  Some of us have had responsibilities that carry us beyond our desks, and get too goddamned many emails as it is.