Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

jimmy olsen

If we had complete mastery of genetic engineering and could design a race of Kahn like supermen, sure. I do not think that such a thing is likely to be possible in my life time, so I'd be against anything more complex than option #2
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Only for diseases and very minor tweaks.
A world of upper-class supermen would not be a great place.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Also, I am not sure I understand the proposal. Already abortion is legal for cases with fetal genetic disorder, and in most civilised countries the cost of the procedure is refunded by the national health service. Likewise, in most civilised countries pre-natal tests are free and offered by the national health service.

So what's the difference between that and your proposal?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2014, 07:49:18 AM
Also, I am not sure I understand the proposal. Already abortion is legal for cases with fetal genetic disorder, and in most civilised countries the cost of the procedure is refunded by the national health service. Likewise, in most civilised countries pre-natal tests are free and offered by the national health service.

Kickbacks to people who decide to abort weenies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 01:07:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2014, 07:49:18 AM

Kickbacks to people who decide to abort weenies.

As I said already it is not a viable incentive. Those who consider abortion to be a valid choice will do so anyway as long as you allow this to be refunded by a NHS - those who consider it morally unacceptable won't do it for a cash reward.

Ideologue

I don't know if that's true: non-crippling defects might be amenable to a little grease.  You've got to overcome inertia, after all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I'm glad nobody puts Ide in charge of anything more important then a crew of short order cooks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 02:41:13 PM
I'm glad nobody puts Ide in charge of anything more important then a crew of short order cooks.

I'm being trained to be in charge of developing privilege logs for multibillion-dollar litigation.  So, in other words, you overestimate me. :(
Kinemalogue

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2014, 05:30:09 AM
If we had complete mastery of genetic engineering and could design a race of Kahn like supermen, sure. I do not think that such a thing is likely to be possible in my life time, so I'd be against anything more complex than option #2

Ah, eugenics wars.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2014, 03:32:45 PM

Eugenics wars?  Tim is talking about Oliver Kahn, the former German goalie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 02:47:28 PM
I'll support you, Ide.

:)

I never understood the Eugenics Wars premise.  If you can engineer superior intelligence, you can engineer superior empathy.  Maybe they decided, rightly, that it was a weakness in individual men and women.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2014, 03:32:45 PM

Eugenics wars?  Tim is talking about Oliver Kahn, the former German goalie.

We need more Madeleine Kahns.  :mad:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue