2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 08:38:22 AM
Yeah I would stop extrapolating. It appears you do not have enough data. :P
Obviously I need more Americans to take me out for dinner :P

Rasputin

Quote from: Brazen on December 12, 2014, 08:24:41 AM
I might be extrapolating, but from my limited experience of American restaurants a) you get free refills of soft drinks so no-one understands why you'd pay good cash for each glass of booze and b) everyone drives so you down a six-pack and beat your wife when you get home instead.
correct...being drunk at home is legal in america

being drunk whilst driving oneself home is now quite taboo and criminal
Who is John Galt?

Martinus

I think the point was that we use taxis/public transport instead in Europe. :P

Brazen

Or, indeed, walking. It is quite a shock to Euros to find that some destinations are as good as inaccessible without a car.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 12, 2014, 09:58:58 AM

And in US (outside of cities where cab prices are reasonable / public transport is effective), we just use designated drivers - which sucks for that person but is great for everyone else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Garbon lives in the America where everybody knows everyone and they are all going home in the same direction, more than happy to leave their car overnight in the city in a pay garage.  :P

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2014, 10:09:18 AM
Garbon lives in the America where everybody knows everyone and they are all going home in the same direction, more than happy to leave their car overnight in the city in a pay garage.  :P

No, I don't live in that America. I live in the America of affordable cabs and effective public transport. :contract:

Btw, when I've been in the 'burbs, DD picked people up / and/or some of us would drive over to someone's house and then go out together. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I think we established long ago that garbon actually lives in a universe patterned on hit NBC sitcom Friends, and not our own.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 10:28:00 AM
I think we established long ago that garbon actually lives in a universe patterned on hit NBC sitcom Friends, and not our own.

I don't hang out in coffeeshops - not since I left SF. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 10:27:25 AM
Btw, when I've been in the 'burbs, DD picked people up / and/or some of us would drive over to someone's house and then go out together. :)

So everybody leaves downtown where they work, to go back to the suburbs where they live, get together, then drive back downtown where the restaurant is you were supposed to meet at after work, and then someone drives them all back to the suburbs.  Gotcha.

Brazen

How does everyone get to Cheers? You don't see Norm volunteering his stint as DD.

Jacob

Quote from: Brazen on December 12, 2014, 08:24:41 AM
I might be extrapolating, but from my limited experience of American restaurants a) you get free refills of soft drinks so no-one understands why you'd pay good cash for each glass of booze and b) everyone drives so you down a six-pack and beat your wife when you get home instead.

Ide and CdM are teetotallers. Extrapolating national or class characteristics from that fact is pretty silly.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 10:07:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 12, 2014, 09:58:58 AM

And in US (outside of cities where cab prices are reasonable / public transport is effective), we just use designated drivers - which sucks for that person but is great for everyone else.

I'm finding that car to go is changing this dynamics as well, which is interesting.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2014, 10:30:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 10:27:25 AM

So everybody leaves downtown where they work, to go back to the suburbs where they live, get together, then drive back downtown where the restaurant is you were supposed to meet at after work, and then someone drives them all back to the suburbs.  Gotcha.

I didn't realize we were talking about after work drinks in the city. :huh:

I mean you seem to be big on calling people assburgery and I think your post is a good example of that. How am I supposed to predict the scenario that you would be in?

Brazen

Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2014, 10:46:57 AM
Ide and CdM are teetotallers. Extrapolating national or class characteristics from that fact is pretty silly.
I wasn't, I was extrapolating from having gone to American restaurants in America with Americans who, shockingly, weren't Ide or CdM. I have also been to Chicago, which seemed very London-like in terms of pedestrian and public transport accessibility. Though I did get carded when I ordered a bottle of wine :rolleyes: