N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 03:20:00 PM
Won't matter if the electric grid is down - gas stations can't pump the gas to fill the cans for your generators. That happened in the big storm in NJ and NY a couple years ago.

Which is why I recommend propane over gasoline or diesel.   Easier to acquire and store.

QuoteThe attack that officials fear is an all out hit on the electrical grid that could bring down regions of the nation for weeks or a lot longer, for months. One report talked about the hidden hacks they found that would cause generators to burn out, needing to be replaced. There aren't necessarily a lot of spare generators sitting ready. And our main supplier is probably China, who may commit the attacks in the first place.  :huh:

Yes, I seem to recall that stuff being mentioned during all those DHS briefings and disaster recovery tabletops I participated in while working in corporate security for a power company.  But thanks for refreshing my memory.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2014, 03:29:58 PM
If only we had some sort of space age technology that did not rely on the Internet and would scare off attacks on the U.S., "deter" our enemies, if you will.

Without knowing it you have unwittingly stumbled upon something that does in fact exist!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Sony has apparently pulled back on plans for any release.

Great. Turns out Red Dawn 2012 was prescient.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2014, 04:42:38 PM

There's some dude from The Hollywood Reporter claiming that if the film gets no release at all they can claim insurance.

crazy canuck

Coming to a Theatre near you:

Sony Presents - Denis Rodman starring in I Love N. Korea.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 04:53:45 PM

There's some dude from The Hollywood Reporter claiming that if the film gets no release at all they can claim insurance.
OK, now that would be the only reasonable, if jerkbagish, explanation.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 18, 2014, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 04:53:45 PM

OK, now that would be the only reasonable, if jerkbagish, explanation.

It's undetstandable, if contractually tenable.

Thing is, I'd assume any insurance contract would require Sony to mitigate losses... Iirc, even if that's not an express term, the law would imply it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

One wonders about the insurance angle.  If I were an insurance company, I would try and argue that this was a military action by North Korea, and thus I didn't have to pay (assuming that their insurance, like most, is void in the event of hostile military action).  After all, these hackers are probably a part of the Nork security apparatus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on December 18, 2014, 08:18:22 PM
Hopefully Languish will survive a cyber attack.

But just in case, we should write our cyber wills.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

A lot of pundits, such as Alan Dershowitz, are saying that Sony should release the video on youtube, on the internet for free. Let millions see it, have N. Korea's actions backfire on them and also so that others don't get the idea that they can trash and intimidate other companies in future attacks like this. I tend to agree with that idea.