N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2014, 02:56:36 AM
There's talk of releasing it VOD, yeah.  But no one knows for sure what the plan is.  I'm sure the .ppt's are flying at Sony HQ tonight.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
BRAVERY
MEN'S ISSUES/POTTY HUMOR

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 03:30:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2014, 02:56:36 AM
There's talk of releasing it VOD, yeah.  But no one knows for sure what the plan is.  I'm sure the .ppt's are flying at Sony HQ tonight.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
BRAVERY
MEN'S ISSUES/POTTY HUMOR
POTM :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: alfred russel on December 17, 2014, 07:30:35 PM
Supposedly lawyers are part of the problem. There were concerns of legal liability if anything happened at the theaters.

Yeah, many theaters are now saying they won't show the movie due to security concerns. I think Sony and theaters can't win either way. If they continue to release the movie and something happens at a theater, then they're greedy for showing the movie anyway. And if they pull the movie then they caved to the threats. I do doubt that any attacks will happen, as I don't see NK radicals pulling off attacks like this.

I think for starters though, Sweden should ban its "comfort" women from visiting Kim Jong Un. That may be the most hurtful thing for him!    ;)

sbr

For the theaters it's not just about The Interview either, if for some reason people take the threats seriously, they could end up staying away from ALL movies over the Christmas holidays which would be bad for the theaters and other production companies.

It's sad to see anyone buckle to this kind of pressure but the theaters are in a tough spot.

Admiral Yi

Surely there must be some way to turn this into a marketing advantage.  Are you ballsy enough to come see this movie?

lustindarkness

It would be kinda funny if now the movie gets leaked into the file sharing world.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteRefusing to let terrorist hackers win, Texas theater will give out free toy guns and screen 'Team America'

When hackers give you lemons, you've got to make lemonade.

One Dallas-area movie theater refuses to take the fallout from Sony's epic data breach sitting down. In true Texas form, it's dialed up the patriotism to 15 and announced plans to host a screening of "Team America: World Police" instead of the embattled assassination comedy "The Interview" next week.

"With cap guns for everyone ... for free," said James Wallace, who programs the Dallas/Ft. Worth Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, according to the Dallas Morning News. "Because you can't spell freedom without free."

Or, isn't it "Freedom isn't free?" Either way, free is almost always a good thing.

Wallace and his theater plan to make the Dec. 27 screening a celebration of America and its greatness — complete with guns, American flags, red white and blue streamers, balloons, and outbursts of "America! F*** yeah!"

Sony cancelled the premier of the Seth Rogen and James Franco flick after hackers stole terabytes of data from the company's servers and threatened attacks on theaters that screen the movie. With the new threat, some of the biggest theater chains pulled out.

Sony and many news reports have pinned blame for the cyber attack on North Korea, whose government has been vocal about its opposition to the movie's premise, namely the assassination of its leader Kim Jong Un.

It just so happens that 2014 marks the 10-year anniversary of "The Interview's" cultural antecedent, Team America. And like father like son, Kim Jong Un's dad, Kim Jon Il reportedly  hated "Team America" too because of its portrayal of the communist regime.

"A lot of the brilliance in TEAM AMERICA is timeless," the theater notes. "Acting is still the greatest gift any human being can possess, and it's the only way to save America from the terrorists."

Not sure if that's entirely true, but why say no to a free movie?

"We're just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," Wallace told the Hollywood Reporter.

This is my favorite theater in the area.  I wish I was going to be in town for this. :(

Jacob

Apparently Sony Pictures is having difficulties doing their payroll because their data was obliterated. The attack was not just stealing data, it has - apparently - severely compromised Sony Pictures' ability to carry out its day to day functions.

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2014, 02:12:27 PM
Apparently Sony Pictures is having difficulties doing their payroll because their data was obliterated. The attack was not just stealing data, it has - apparently - severely compromised Sony Pictures' ability to carry out its day to day functions.

Yeah, I heard today on the news that the hacker attack was very destructive as well, destroyed info, wrote over data, make some or a lot of it unusable.

This cyber war is very serious stuff. An attack could bring down significant parts of another nation if it hit financial markets or utility production. Reports that the US could be crippled for months if the electrical system is hit and they've found embedded viruses/trojans in the systems, maybe tests or just waiting to be used. There's an international war going on in cyber land all the time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 02:55:33 PM
This cyber war is very serious stuff. An attack could bring down significant parts of another nation if it hit financial markets or utility production. Reports that the US could be crippled for months if the electrical system is hit and they've found embedded viruses/trojans in the systems, maybe tests or just waiting to be used. There's an international war going on in cyber land all the time.

Gee, I wish I had been telling people that.  Oh, wait--when I do, it's because I'm bitching about Evul Corporate America.

I suggest you monkeys get a really good generator.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 03:08:47 PM

Gee, I wish I had been telling people that.  Oh, wait--when I do, it's because I'm bitching about Evul Corporate America.

Why not just stokpile ammunition?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

I guess Sony should rethink their CIO's strategy of "I'd rather lose a million to a cyber attack than spend 10 million on training and counter-measures."  Fuckbag.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 03:08:47 PM

Won't matter if the electric grid is down - gas stations can't pump the gas to fill the cans for your generators. That happened in the big storm in NJ and NY a couple years ago. The attack that officials fear is an all out hit on the electrical grid that could bring down regions of the nation for weeks or a lot longer, for months. One report talked about the hidden hacks they found that would cause generators to burn out, needing to be replaced. There aren't necessarily a lot of spare generators sitting ready. And our main supplier is probably China, who may commit the attacks in the first place.  :huh:

Ideologue

If only we had some sort of space age technology that did not rely on the Internet and would scare off attacks on the U.S., "deter" our enemies, if you will.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)