What amendments would you make to the American constitution?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Is there any K-Pop girl band that is kind of metallish?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2014, 11:47:21 PM
These are the changes needed:

1- Term limits for Congress. Two terms for Senators (12 years max), 6 terms for the House (12 years max as well). This is the only way to control corruption and special interests, eliminating the permanent political class we have now. The fouding fathers never had in mind people in Congress for 30 years and more.
Wouldn't that just increase corruption, as Congressmen would have to quickly curry favour with special interests so that they could gain lucrative post-Congressional employment?  Exactly like it is now?
Quote4- Regulatory power back to Congress, not with the gazillion agencies and departments the executive branch now has.
Wouldn't Congress just spin it right back out again, since they really don't want to spend time legislating on that micro a level.
Quote5- Mandatory yearly budgets for the goverment. Goverment shutdown if they go over budget.
That's just stupid, and if you think about it you see why.  What happens if Iran nukes American soil?  The war wasn't budgeted for, so right as the US is about to strike back, instead they just collapse and do nothing.  Annual budgets aren't a bad idea, but being tied to them is.
Quote6- Power back to the States. No more departments of agriculture or education. Federal goverments is foreign policy and military.

7- Tax reform. Simple tax code that everyone can understand. No capital gains tax or foreign investment tax. No inherency tax.

8- Safety net as low as possible, to help only the disabilited, the elderly, etc., but not the fit in working age people.
And this is just typical plutocrat nonsense, no doubt courtesy of your friends in the Republican Party.  Well, they're not really your friends.  These days, a Republican isn't anybody's friend.  I think the Latin term is 'Hostis humani generis'.  A sad end for the party of Nixon, Roosevelt and Lincoln.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 11:54:59 PM
Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2014, 11:52:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 11:51:32 PM
I'm not sure "regulatory power back to Congress" is necessary.  I think they have that power now.  You know, um, the one where they have the power to pass laws? :lol:

The executive branch regulates. Congress legislates.
Congress needs to do both.
You realize that all regulations are subordinate to laws, right?  If Congress doesn't like a reg, they already have the power to abolish it.

Also, I guess Congress needs a staff of about 2 million personnel?
I think his real objection is that a Democrat can get elected president and do all sorts of non-evil things with regulations.  If the Republicans can keep at least half of Congress, his plan will allow them to prevent non-evil from being done.  Efficiency and good sense be damned, it's far more important to prevent Obama from making American lives better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on December 04, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 11:54:59 PM
I'm not sure "regulatory power back to Congress" is necessary.  I think they have that power now.  You know, um, the one where they have the power to pass laws? :lol:

You realize that all regulations are subordinate to laws, right?  If Congress doesn't like a reg, they already have the power to abolish it.

Also, I guess Congress needs a staff of about 2 million personnel?
I think his real objection is that a Democrat can get elected president and do all sorts of non-evil things with regulations.  If the Republicans can keep at least half of Congress, his plan will allow them to prevent non-evil from being done.  Efficiency and good sense be damned, it's far more important to prevent Obama from making American lives better.

:lol:

But really. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2014, 03:11:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2014, 03:05:14 AM
So did we just decide to put all the bad ideas into one thread?

Which of my ideas do you think are bad?

1 and 2 are already laws.  5 and 7 are bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM
Note: One cannot abolish the senate or amend it to representative by population, as Article V specifies that equal representation in the Senate can not be amended.

...so you amend Article V first, if you're just handwaving.  This isn't rocket science.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 03, 2014, 11:26:11 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2014, 11:21:54 PM
Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion. 

Ide? :huh:

At least he's an American, unlike the majority of the court.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2014, 11:47:21 PM
1- Term limits for Congress. Two terms for Senators (12 years max), 6 terms for the House (12 years max as well). This is the only way to control corruption and special interests, eliminating the permanent political class we have now. The fouding fathers never had in mind people in Congress for 30 years and more.

If I had a dime for every time someone said: "The founding fathers believed X" without a shred of evidence to support it, I'd be a millionaire.

Term restrictions were actually debated and considered by the founders.  There were limits in the Articles of Confederation.  The decision to keep them out of the Constitution was deliberate, to provide greater stability and continuity.  Madison in the Federalist papers specifically mentions that the more talented legislators will likely be continuously re-elected and serve for long periods of time.  And of course that was common in the early republic, with men like Clay and Webster spending nearly all their lives in Congress (when not serving in the cabinet).

Quote4- Regulatory power back to Congress, not with the gazillion agencies and departments the executive branch now has.

To reiterate what others had said, Congress already has this power.  The reason why the executive does so much rule making is that typically when Congress passes a law, they explicitly delegate rule making to the President or a Department.

Quote5- Mandatory yearly budgets for the goverment. Goverment shutdown if they go over budget.

Congress already has this power too, and has exercised it in recent memory.

Quote6- Power back to the States. No more departments of agriculture or education. Federal goverments is foreign policy and military.

7- Tax reform. Simple tax code that everyone can understand. No capital gains tax or foreign investment tax. No inherency tax.

8- Safety net as low as possible, to help only the disabilited, the elderly, etc., but not the fit in working age people.

Also all within the power of Congress.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I'd give way more powers to the President so he could get things done without being held up by a do-nothing Congress.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Would you still have that opinion if the Democrats held Congress, and Republicans had the Presidency?