What amendments would you make to the American constitution?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 03, 2014, 11:29:40 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2014, 11:21:54 PM
Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion.

:weep:
Ide doesn't qualify, so you get his spot. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion.

Apparently only those who get to sit on the right side of the room qualify, buddy.  :console:

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 11:28:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 10:37:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:31:34 PM
The right to smother Timmay with a pillow full of bricks until dead shall not be infringed.

New York...doesn't abstain.

Last time I waste a 1776 joke in this place.

Mr Anger.  Damn you Mr Anger.  You are Obnoxious and disliked, that cannot be denied
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:30:57 PMThat's hardly optimal though, it's being forced upon us by economic and societal forces over which we have little control.
And the fact we're living longer - which is relatively optimal.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2014, 11:31:14 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2014, 10:25:05 PM
Remove the right to bear arms clause.

I am not sure how the constitution can outlaw gerrymandering.  I imagine what it can do is to specify that the electoral boundaries be set by a neutral expert commission, having regard to factors such as population size. 

Are you out of your mind?
The right to bear arms is what have kept America free and safe.
You ban weapons, and only criminals will have weapons.
The 2nd Amendment is what make America great.

When has the right to bear arms ever kept America free and safe?  The only time we used the Amendment for its intended purposes and called out the militias for national defense they did a pretty poor job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

The Bar is just an evil tool of that evil monopolistic lawyer-cabal.  Nothing in the Constitution says you have to pass it.

Ideologue

Take out the parts of the 4th Amendment I don't like.  Abolish the ability of states to pass laws on any subject less specifically local in nature than traffic control and zoning.  Single term for presidents, of 10 years.  Single terms for Representatives, of 10 years.  Abolish the Senate.  (Which also abolish Senate approval of executive appointees.)

I think those are the only real constitutional barrier to setting up the rational state.  There might be others I'm forgetting about.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:28:11 PMThe point is to get more turnover on the court. It's packed with dinosaurs who aren't in step with the nation.
They're judges :blink:

They're not meant to be in step with the nation.
They should not be subject to political pressure with regards to having to worry about their job security like a congressman. But they should be in step with the nation and have an intuitive everyday understanding of the economic, technological and political forces driving society.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:31:41 PM

Ide doesn't qualify, so you get his spot. :contract:

You don't need to be the member of any state bar to be a member of the SCOTUS.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 11:34:09 PM
Take out the parts of the 4th Amendment I don't like.  Abolish the ability of states to pass laws on any subject less specifically local in nature than traffic control and zoning.  Single term for presidents, of 10 years.  Single terms for Representatives, of 10 years.  Abolish the Senate.  (Which also abolish Senate approval of executive appointees.)

I think those are the only real constitutional barrier to setting up the rational state.  There might be others I'm forgetting about.
You have violated the rules in the opening post!

To the Sarlacc with you!  :mad:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:36:24 PM

I can abolish anything I want.  You gave me dictatorial powers, and I am using them to reshape society as I see fit.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Fine, Tim, I'll play it your way.

Abolish states.

CAN'T HAVE A SENATE WITHOUT STATES BUDDY.
Kinemalogue

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:36:24 PM

Read Article V it again.  A State could consent to reduce their representation.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:35:17 PMThey should not be subject to political pressure with regards to having to worry about their job security like a congressman. But they should be in step with the nation and have an intuitive everyday understanding of the economic, technological and political forces driving society.
Why?

Also I think it's impossible. No one can understand the economic, technological and political forces of contemporary society any more than a fish can understand water. We need perspective to even begin to understand them. What's an 'intuitive everyday' understanding of those things?
Let's bomb Russia!