What amendments would you make to the American constitution?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 11:23:09 PM
Oh man I would love to read the decisions of the Martinus court.
I think you mean the Minsky court. Who else would be chief justice?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

When was the last time senility played a part in the Supreme Court?

And if they are already being nominated younger what is the point of the amendment?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2014, 11:21:54 PM
Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion. 

Ide? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Do you have to take the bar exam to become a judge? :hmm:

"The Constitution clearly says everything should be nationalized"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on December 03, 2014, 11:26:11 PM
Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion. 

Ide? :huh:

I he worked at Block Buster Video.  :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
When was the last time senility played a part in the Supreme Court?

And if they are already being nominated younger what is the point of the amendment?
The point is to get more turnover on the court. It's packed with dinosaurs who aren't in step with the nation.

I thought of amending it so that they would have ten or twelve year terms after which the President would have an option to renominate them, but I decided on mandatory retirement as a compromise.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 11:27:27 PM
Do you have to take the bar exam to become a judge? :hmm:

If wikihow is not leading me astray, then yes.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 10:37:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:31:34 PM
The right to smother Timmay with a pillow full of bricks until dead shall not be infringed.

New York...doesn't abstain.

Last time I waste a 1776 joke in this place.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:24:11 PMThere comes a point when the benefits of experience are outweighed by one's degenerating mental state. This will differ from person to person, but I think 70 is a reasonable average.
70's ridiculously young. I mean it's not long till most ordinary people have to work beyond then.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

:weep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:28:11 PMThe point is to get more turnover on the court. It's packed with dinosaurs who aren't in step with the nation.
They're judges :blink:

They're not meant to be in step with the nation.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 11:29:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:24:11 PMThere comes a point when the benefits of experience are outweighed by one's degenerating mental state. This will differ from person to person, but I think 70 is a reasonable average.
70's ridiculously young. I mean it's not long till most ordinary people have to work beyond then.
That's hardly optimal though, it's being forced upon us by economic and societal forces over which we have little control.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 11:28:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 10:37:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:31:34 PM
The right to smother Timmay with a pillow full of bricks until dead shall not be infringed.

New York...doesn't abstain.

Last time I waste a 1776 joke in this place.

Courteously.

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2014, 10:25:05 PM
Remove the right to bear arms clause.

I am not sure how the constitution can outlaw gerrymandering.  I imagine what it can do is to specify that the electoral boundaries be set by a neutral expert commission, having regard to factors such as population size. 

Are you out of your mind?
The right to bear arms is what have kept America free and safe.
You ban weapons, and only criminals will have weapons.
The 2nd Amendment is what make America great.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:28:11 PMThe point is to get more turnover on the court. It's packed with dinosaurs who aren't in step with the nation.
They're judges :blink:

They're not meant to be in step with the nation.

This.  (sorry Ed)