What amendments would you make to the American constitution?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Burn the whole thing, you guys should try the next couple of hundred years with an 'unwritten constitution'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 10:13:44 PM
#7 - Supreme Court Justices will have a mandatory date of retirement upon reaching 70 years of age.

So Louis Brandeis would only have served 5 years instead of 23 years, Felix Frankfurter 12 years instead of 23, Thurgood Marshall 11 years instead of 24, and Oliver Wendell Holmes 9 years instead of 30.

You're an idiot.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2014, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 03, 2014, 11:00:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2014, 10:54:54 PM
no more than two terms in senate

no more than two terms for house

no more than 12 years total time in house/senate

Why would anyone run? "I just wanted to take several years away from my money making career in the private sector to sure that my skills deteriorated and that younger, hungrier folks could take my job." :unsure:

It shouldn't be a career. It should be treated like a activation in the reserves/NG

That doesn't really answer my question though. At least you can use the reserves/NG to pay for college. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on December 03, 2014, 11:04:53 PM
Burn the whole thing, you guys should try the next couple of hundred years with an 'unwritten constitution'.  :bowler:

I don't know that we want to take advice from a country that itself on the edge of dissolution this year. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 11:05:08 PM
#7 - Supreme Court Justices will have a mandatory date of retirement upon reaching 70 years of age.

So Louis Brandeis would only have served 5 years instead of 23 years, Felix Frankfurter 12 years instead of 23, Thurgood Marshall 11 years instead of 24, and Oliver Wendell Holmes 9 years instead of 30.

You're an idiot.
I didn't realize that constitutional amendments acted retroactively through time and space!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:07:36 PM

You're an idiot.
I didn't realize that constitutional amendments acted retroactively through time and space!

Why squash the potential judicial giants of the future?

CountDeMoney

It's a conceptualized example designed to illustrate your stoopid thinking. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 03, 2014, 11:08:48 PM

You're an idiot.

Judges will simply end up being nominated at earlier ages when they're just coming into the prime instead of when they're in their sixties and already on a downward slope.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2014, 11:15:46 PM
Judges will simply end up being nominated at earlier ages when they're just coming into the prime instead of when they're in their sixties and already on a downward slope.

Some judges don't reach the pinnacle of their judicial careers until much later in life.  They're not running backs, you fucking moron.

Valmy

So you want less experience on the bench?  And no that is not necessarily the inevitable outcome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

You're an idiot.

Ide for Supreme Court!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 11:18:17 PM

So you want less experience on the bench?  And no that is not necessarily the inevitable outcome.

Then again, it worked for Clarence Thomas.  Look how that turned out.

Monoriu

Do we have enough languish lawyers to form a US supreme court?  Martinus, BB, Ide, Crazy Canuck, JR, American Scipio, Rasputin, Gups, Sheibh.  I wonder how this court will vote on things like abortion. 

Valmy

Oh man I would love to read the decisions of the Martinus court.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 11:18:17 PM

There comes a point when the benefits of experience are outweighed by one's degenerating mental state. This will differ from person to person, but I think 70 is a reasonable average.

We're already seeing judges being nominated at younger ages so that people can stack the court as long as possible.

1 Karma Chameleon point