News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What should I do next week?

Started by alfred russel, November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I'm getting off the week after next. I can't move it. I want to do something, but have zero plans. I want to fly somewhere on Friday (December 5) and back on Sunday (December 14).

I like to do rather aggressive hiking, and beyond that am a history nerd.

What should I do?

My first thought is Patagonia, but flights are prohibitively expensive right now. So that is out.

The US and Europe are cold, Australia too far away.

Current ideas:
-Turkey, never been, flights to Istanbul are cheapish, and Istanbul combined with a road trip through parts of Turkey when that gets boring should be fun.
-Israel, never been, why not. Flights are cheapish.
-Morocco, never been, flights aren't too expensive, driving around should be interesting, maybe see the Sahara? The major downside is that I really want to go up a mountain there, and the weather won't allow it in December.

These are my ideas. I'm not excited about them. I need to leave in 6 days, so I sort of need to make a quick decision. If anyone wants to meet up for something like a roadtrip through turkey, I can spring for the cars and hotels.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

A bunch of those little clowns stuffed in a clown car.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2014, 08:05:47 PM
Let's go to Thailand.

Flights to Bangkok aren't obnoxious. I know you are joking, but I'd definitely be in. I'm not going by myself because of the same reason you are saying lets go to Thailand.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

I wanted to learn muay thai and meet M. Bison, is all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I think Turkey is also freezing this time of year. Israel would be very cool. Though I've not been to either.

I loved Morocco. Six days isn't a great deal of time but you could almost certainly see the Sahara, or skip that and go for Marrakesh and Essaouira (Portguese fort-town on the Atlantic which is lovely) or Marrakesh and North to Rif: Fes, Meknes and Chefchaoun maybe?

Edit: Although regardless you will be driving South of the Channel, so God help you :console:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Do you mean on the correct side of the road. You insular peoples and your quaint idiosyncrasies! :hug:
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2014, 08:21:18 PM
Do you mean on the correct side of the road. You insular peoples and your quaint idiosyncrasies! :hug:
:lol:

But no I mean safely rather than like you're in a video game or where using the horn is an acceptable alternative to braking.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2014, 08:18:25 PM

I loved Morocco. Six days isn't a great deal of time but you could almost certainly see the Sahara, or skip that and go for Marrakesh and Essaouira (Portguese fort-town on the Atlantic which is lovely) or Marrakesh and North to Rif: Fes, Meknes and Chefchaoun maybe?

I was thinking land in Casablanca, drive to Fes, spend a couple days there, drive to Marrakesh, spend a couple days there, maybe do a really short Sahara expedition, and then go home.

That might meet some ADVENTURE! quotient. Mostly because of the driving. That isn't much time though.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2014, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2014, 08:21:18 PM
:lol:

But no I mean safely rather than like you're in a video game or where using the horn is an acceptable alternative to braking.

I'm probably going to book this tonight. Sheilbh, I trust your judgment on this stuff. Am I missing something amazing?

I'm a leaning toward Israel or Istanbul--Istanbul being much more interesting for me but also colder.

alfred russel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 08:40:49 PM
Do you have ideas what I should do?

Go to the beach at Cartagena (or is that in Venezuela?--anyway Colombia has an old colonial port town with a beach).  Check out the Bogota night life.  Eyeball the senoritas.  Eat some food.  Hike somewhere dangerous near FARC territory.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2014, 08:45:36 PM

Go to the beach at Cartagena (or is that in Venezuela?--anyway Colombia has an old colonial port town with a beach).

It is in Colombia.