News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What should I do next week?

Started by alfred russel, November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 08:40:23 PM
I'm probably going to book this tonight. Sheilbh, I trust your judgment on this stuff. Am I missing something amazing?

I'm a leaning toward Israel or Istanbul--Istanbul being much more interesting for me but also colder.
Eeeek.

I don't know Israel or Istanbul but would love to travel to both.

If you go for Morocco I absolutely loved Fes - I really recommend Cafe Clock just inside the medina for a tea/coffee.  But just wander around the old town, head down to the old tanneries etc. It's also convenient to do a quick afternoon in Meknes which is also worth visiting but less great. I think the drive between the two was good.

If you're in that area it's not too far to Chefchaouen which is beautiful ( https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chefchaouen&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=B3l6VKy3IYTgaLaMglg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg ), everyone will try and sell you hash. But that may be too out of your way.

I didn't spend much time in Marrakesh so I have less tips there. I loved Casablanca but lots of people don't. Compared to Fes, Mekness or Marrakesh it's very different. Their old towns are centuries old while I think Casablanca's old town is only 18th century and the city itself is very French. But I liked that and when I got there I'd just spent a week in Fes and the area so the contrast was nice - I believe people say Fes is the most Arab city in Morocco, Marrakesh the most African and Casablanca the most European. You can also visit the largest mosque in Africa the King Hassan II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_II_Mosque) which is the only mosque in Morocco non-Muslims are allowed to visit and very interesting, if rather modern. It's also built in a run down bit of town which isn't that attractive but maybe worth the hour it takes.

I don't know about the Sahara I didn't visit.

Also everyone's very friendly. It's true they're almost always trying to sell you things, but they do it in a very charming way and if you've less shame than me you can embrace the game of haggling.

Worth a visit . But I'd wait for people who've been to Istanbul or Israel before booking.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Sheilbh, what do you think about me being by myself in Morocco though?

If we are talking about something outdoors oriented or a crazy adventure type thing, I'm good by myself. I'm also a history buff, so I can nerd out in a place like the British Museum or the Louvre by myself for days (I'd much prefer to be by myself actually).

But to soak up the atmosphere of Fes or Marrakesh? I'm not sure.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Maybe. I mean you'll know what you want. I mean there's stuff to do historically speaking - Fes is the world's largest Medieval medina - and Marrakech has historical sites too.

But ultimately I don't think their tourism will be focused on museums and historical sites as in Istanbul and Israel, as opposed to wandering a 15th century souk, seeing the tanneries (which reek), eating the food in that big square in Marrakech and, as you say, soaking up the atmosphere. It's less like being a history nerd in, say, London or Paris, and more like being a history nerd in a small Italian city.

I'm dreadful at actually seeing things on holiday. I normally insist on one walking excursion but aside from that I'm very much a soak up the atmosphere, try and get chatting in a local cafe kind of guy.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

If so, I expect a full AAR.

And avoid guys named Belloq.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 29, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
If so, I expect a full AAR.

And avoid guys named Belloq.

Kidnapped America, sort advice from people on internet before making trip.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

By all means, get into a pissing match with some Albanians over the FSU-ND penalty.

Eddie Teach

Stay at home, eating fried chicken and playing X-box.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Colombia sounds like an interesting choice. I heard good things about it from other travelers.

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 09:14:15 PM
Sheilbh, what do you think about me being by myself in Morocco though?

If we are talking about something outdoors oriented or a crazy adventure type thing, I'm good by myself. I'm also a history buff, so I can nerd out in a place like the British Museum or the Louvre by myself for days (I'd much prefer to be by myself actually).

But to soak up the atmosphere of Fes or Marrakesh? I'm not sure.

I spent about a week in Fez and a few days in Casablanca.  Casablanca is an ugly third world city where everybody is running a hustle and living in squalor.  Fez, on the other hand is pretty neat. You can't visit mosques in Morocco unless you're a Muslim (except one in Casablanca), but you can visit the madrassas (which all closed after the French left) and there are some museums.  It's a short train ride from Fez to Moulay Idriss and the Roman ruins of Volubilis or to the imperial city of Meknes.  I took a taxi to the middle Atlas, but if you're thinking of going to Marrakesh you'd probably go to the high Atlas instead.

There's no need to drive.  You can take the train straight from the Mohammed V airport to either Fez or Marrakesh.

One thing to know, though, is that English isn't widely spoken.  Even in big cities French is the more common second language.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

From where you are Aruba is a quick and relatively inexpensive week in the sun, if you rent a place in the South of the island rather than staying in a resort in the North. 

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM
I'm getting off the week after next. I can't move it. I want to do something, but have zero plans.

Find someone who looks like you, stalk him, kill him, and assume his identity.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Come to HK and I will allow you the honour of buying me a lunch  :hug: